Grit in hot water

Users who are viewing this thread

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
I got your name from my plumber who follows you and hoping maybe you could help us. Let me outline my situation - my home is 17 years old, operate on a well system with a main house filter, Aqua system water softener, iron extractor, and (2) 50 gallon water heaters. We have replaced our water heaters multiple time - we are currently on our 4th set (last pair installed July 2022). The problem we continue to get are a grit/sand buildup in our faucets screens/bathtubs/washer. Past individuals have instructed me to remove the inner rod in my water heaters because of this grit thinking that is my issue, but as I have learned with my new plumber, that is causing my heaters to fail.
I am still getting this grit in my faucets with my new water heaters (again only 3 months old) Professionals that we have reached out to indicate what we are seeing is sediment/debris from our water heaters, however they are only 90 days old. We have recently flushed the water heaters and tried a new house filter and continue to see the same grit.
My question is, have you ever seen this before and what might you recommendations be to resolve or issue (picture included of the buildup in the shower head faucet)?

Any assistance would be appreciated.
Ascott_Thorntown

index.php

Reach4

Reaction score
If worst comes to worst, they do make cartridge filters that can filter hot water.

Rather than remove the anode, I would consider a powered anode. My favorite is no longer sold. I am concerned that these are shorter than optimum, but they are going to be way-better than no anode. https://www.corroprotec.com/powered-anode-rod/

I would try soaking the collected "sand" in vinegar. Not sure what to expect, but regular sand does not dissolve in vinegar. I would try burning the "sand" on a brick/rock using a propane torch. This will not melt or burn sand. I am not sure what a particle produced in the WH would do.

Sylvan

Still learning
Reaction score
Why not install a separate filter leading to the CW Supply for the heater?

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail on a Cancer Drug Started 1/31/24. ☹
Solutions
Reaction score
Why not install a separate filter leading to the CW Supply for the heater?
A spin down filter may work better than a filter cartridge if there is sediment in the well water. Reach has a good idea using heat to determine if it is sand. Since there seems to be no issues on the cold side, something in the water is changing to a solid inside the WH. Perhaps a lab test of the well water to see whats in it. Should be two samples, one before and one after the WH.

Reach maybe on to it with the anode rod. Anode rods are usually Magnesium. Trying an Aluminum Zinc for about $30 is worth a try.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks