Good Plumbing "how-to" book??

Users who are viewing this thread

JeffV

Reaction score
I'm going to tackle a basement bath install on my own where I'll be cutting out slab and need to install drain/vent for a toilet, sink and shower/bath. Can anyone suggest a good plumbing "how-to" book? I'd like something that describes and illustrates how to run the drains, how to connect to main drain under the slab and how to vent the whole system.

Thanks,
Jeff

Prashster

Reaction score
Stanley made a good book on how to do a basement rough in.

I would also suggest that you sketch and post your plans here, and post how you plan to do it. You'll get a lot of great advice here. The stuff I got from some of the pros here was worth 10x any book.

Some rules of thumb i followed:

1/4" slope for all drains.
Vent each fixture.
Vent should go up thru attic.

Last edited:
R

Rancher

prashster said:
Vent each fixture. Vent should go up thru attic.
I had a good book, I'll look it up, the nice thing I learned from it is you can combine a certain number of "units" together to exit thru your roof in one vent, I haven't seen that talked about here, I know that makes it hard to snake but it keeps the penetrations thru the roof at a min. Also the fart fans can be vented in the eves or soffets, that doesn't need to go thru the roof either.

A lav is 1 "unit", and I think the toilet was 3 "units".... I think I remember 8 unit on a 2" vent... plumbers, am I using the correct term?

Rancher

JeffV

Reaction score
YES, those are exactly the type questions I have...

immediately, questions that come to mind are those and these...

Can one vent, vent all three fixtures (toilet, sink, and bath)?
What diameter does vent need to be?
How do you support the weight of the vertical vent?
Slope required on lateral drains?
Diameter required on lateral drains?
Pack gravel back around lateral pipes under slab?
Reinforce concrete w/ rebar?
How do you connect PVC to Cast Iron underneath concrete slab?
Do I connect to the main w/ a 45 or 90?
Where, exactly to place the drain's coming up out of the ground in relation to existing walls (bath and toilet)?
Height of sink drain coming out of wall?

See...these are the type questions that I have and I'm hoping to find answers to. I'll definitely put together some kind of sketch and see what folks on this board think. Thanks for the thoughts thus far!

Jeff

Puzzled

Reaction score
The plumbing book I've relied on for years is "Do it yourself plumbing" by Genova. I think enough of it that I sent a copy to each of our three children when they in turn purchased their homes. Thats been a few years ago, but the phone number I show for them is 800-572-5398.

It walks you through vent sizes, distances, types of fittings, etc. Handy as heck.

Markts30

Commercial Plumber
Reaction score
FYI
IAPMO DWV sizing table...
1-1/2" vent - 8 Fixture units, 60' max
2" vent - 24 Fixture units, 120' max
3" Vent - 84 FUs, 212' max

Drains
1-1/2" - 2FU vertical, 1FU horizontal, 65'vert max
2" - 16 FU vert, 8FU horiz, 85' Max vert
3" - 48FU vert, 35FU Horiz, 212 Max vert

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
book

Good, do it yourself, and book, should not be used in the same sentence. In the real world, there are few "generic" plumbing installations so most drawings may have to be revised to fit the actual installation. It is in those revisions that DIY'ers make the mistakes.

JeffV

Reaction score
Indeed, and that's where this forum will come into play...

I'll post some pics and get advice from the pro's. While I see your point, I would still argue that a book is a good starting point. From there I guess it depends on the diy'er as to whether they can see past the book and make something work.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks