Go idea of bad idea? Changing CI column radiator to Runtal Steel.

Users who are viewing this thread

ARC

Reaction score
Hi and thanks. I removed my 100 yr old cast iron column radiator to save room in my bathroom remodel. One replacement option is a Runtal, either towel warmer style or maybe a wall panel style. Is this an ok idea or just a bad one to mix a legacy system with non-cast iron?

I know their mass is less so will probably cool down quicker than the rest of the CIs. We will keep the bathroom door open most of the time and it's warm enough now without the old CI in now so I don't think I need it to work as perfectly as the old CI. I was also thinking of a kickspace but seems like I'd need to put it on its own zone then sie it's 1/2" copper and not 3/4". Runtal seems like a good idea sie it's piped for 3/4" and hopefully will get enough flow. I have a two-pipe direct return system. Not sure what other options I have. Thanks.

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
Both replacement options would require a separate zone to work. Towel warmers only work with flow since they have almost no thermal mass.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks