Stack advice

Users who are viewing this thread

mgb2

Reaction score
It's been years since I've needed to post here, but my luck has run out.

I was chasing down a sewer odor in the c.1950 part of our house. The basement is finished, so the stack was behind drywall. I assumed it was all original cast iron, and was hopeful the problem would be in the basement section and I could replace that portion with PVC. Well, when they did the basement work, they redid that portion to just below the subfloor.

The only thing that enters the stack above the floor is the bathroom lav. I turned that on, and quickly found the problem. As you probably guessed, the original cast iron has failed with a nice split and a hole big enough to put a finger in.

Since some wall opening will be required in the bathroom now, I'm trying to figure out how far things should go. Should I support the CI, cut out the bad section, and splice in PVC, or should the entire remainder of the stack be replaced all the way through the roof? It's a single story and only a few feet in from the edge of the roof. Part of me thinks the bad part has gone bad because of water from the sink, and that the section above will still be good. The other part says it's all 70 years old and the rest may develop a crack or holes soon.

If just the bad part should go, I should be able to DIY it, but if the consensus is that it should all go, I think I'd bring in a pro.

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
I encourage DIY If that means you cant do it all, do what you can and save those other parts for later. 70 years my opinion is get rid of it all but.... opening walls floors etc isnt always practical or affordable. you will gain skill to tackle other issues /sections later. you will have a knowledge of your home that you wont have other wise plus save money. This dosent work for everyone some dont have the time and work a ton of hours already.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks