Toilet Flange

Users who are viewing this thread

BlueArcher

Reaction score
Working on a bathroom remodel, and I had some professional plumbers do most of the rough-in work. They seem to have done a decent job but for other reasons I won't get in to, I had to remove them from the job. Now I have the task of trying to finish things myself and I am coming up on a dilemma with the toilet. Hopefully I am not missing something obvious.

84 year old house, this bathroom has the original toilet, which we want to rebuild and keep. JL Mott & Co, and the model is a Lombard. The drain output size is a little larger than modern toilets, more like 2 7/8" ID and almost 3 1/2" OD.

The plumbers stubbed out a 3" pipe that replaced the original cast iron, but as the Ditra+tile is going in now, it's looking like the 3" elbow hub is going to rise higher than the finished floor by 1/4" to 1/2". They also glued the stub out in.

I am not quite sure how to best go about sitting a toilet flange on the finished floor in this state. Want to avoid an "inside pipe" style due to size, but even if I went with that, it would be sitting on top of the hub and not the floor. Other option appears to be a hub saver to ream the stub out from the hub and glue in a 3" pipe size flange, but still have the same problem of sitting on top of the hub. Do I need to also cut the top of the hub down with an inside pipe cutter? Or something else? Did they screw me?

Pictures attached, unfortunately I didn't get a great shot when the floor was open but you can see the elbow a little.

Attachments

• 20230526_113557 (Custom).jpg
    20230526_113557 (Custom).jpg
    63.9 KB · Views: 98
  • 20230526_113540 (Custom).jpg
    20230526_113540 (Custom).jpg
    59.1 KB · Views: 99
  • 20230526_112138 (Custom).jpg
    20230526_112138 (Custom).jpg
    68.4 KB · Views: 97
  • 20230322_165047 (Custom).jpg
    20230322_165047 (Custom).jpg
    97 KB · Views: 96

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
Argh.. a 4x3 closet flange should have been installed there. In this instance I would shave the wood/ditra from around the hub of the 90 and install a 4" straight flange over the hub of the 90 and reem out the pipe from the hub.

Reach4

Reaction score
What does that second picture show? Is that the pipe after you removed the black cap, or is it a hub after you have pulled the unglued piece of pipe? It looks to me as if what you show has about a 3 inch ID. A 3 inch pipe has a 3-inch ID. A 3 inch hub has about a 3.5 inch ID.

How high will the finished floor come to? Maybe bridge that area with a board or level, to the height the finished floor would come to. Then take a photo viewed about 30 degrees above horizontal.

BlueArcher

Reaction score
What does that second picture show? Is that the pipe after you removed the black cap, or is it a hub after you have pulled the unglued piece of pipe? It looks to me as if what you show has about a 3 inch ID. A 3 inch pipe has a 3-inch ID. A 3 inch hub has about a 3.5 inch ID.
toilet drain

How high will the finished floor come to? Maybe bridge that area with a board or level, to the height the finished floor would come to. Then take a photo viewed about 30 degrees above horizontal.
I'll get a better idea at the end of today after the tilers are done.

Reach4

Reaction score
toilet drain
Are you saying that is the underside of the toilet? That is unusually large, if so.

Is that a retro-looking new toilet, or a reconditioned older toilet? Especially if it is an older toilet, check the rough-in. The plumbers probably placed the piping so that the middle would be 12 inches from the expected finished wall. Check.

Last edited:

BlueArcher

Reaction score
Argh.. a 4x3 closet flange should have been installed there. In this instance I would shave the wood/ditra from around the hub of the 90 and install a 4" straight flange over the hub of the 90 and reem out the pipe from the hub.
You're saying the 4" inside flange fits on the outside of 3" hub? I think you're on to something. I don't have to do much trimming on the wood, it has a gap that was spray foamed, it should fit as is.

BlueArcher

Reaction score
Are you saying that is the underside of the toilet? That is unusually large, if so.

Is that a retro-looking new toilet, or a reconditioned older toilet? Especially if it is an older toilet, check the rough-in. The plumbers probably placed the piping so that the middle would be 12 inches from the expected finished wall. Check.
84 year old house, this bathroom has the original toilet, which we want to rebuild and keep. JL Mott & Co, and the model is a Lombard. The drain output size is a little larger than modern toilets, more like 2 7/8" ID and almost 3 1/2" OD.

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
You're saying the 4" inside flange fits on the outside of 3" hub? I think you're on to something. I don't have to do much trimming on the wood, it has a gap that was spray foamed, it should fit as is.
Correct.. an old timers trick I learned when I was a kid.

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
Figured that trick out myself when I was new to the trade , not really a secret it wasent meant to be that way I dont think but works fine. perfect situation !

BlueArcher

Reaction score
i don't typically get calipers out during construction, but in this case I did. measuring varous points, the elbow hub ranges from 0.20" to 0.30" above the finished tile. I suspect that even with this 4" flange, I'd have to shave that hub down, but I haven't tried to fit it yet.

BlueArcher

Reaction score
I didn't get to tell the tiler what we were planning, so he also put the tiles too tight. Hopefully a diamond blade on an oscillating tool can do well enough to create the clearance. Is there a better way? Dremel?

Attachments

• 20230528_132528 (Custom).jpg
    20230528_132528 (Custom).jpg
    44.1 KB · Views: 88
  • 20230528_132522 (Custom).jpg
    20230528_132522 (Custom).jpg
    46.9 KB · Views: 96

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
Since the tile hasn't been grouted yet, there is a lot of risk that vibration will loosen up tiles. I prefer an angle grinder to cut stuff like that. Might even be worth having your tile installer do it before they grout so that if a tile pops they can re-adhere it. The toilet also has a footprint that will cover a bit past the side of the flange too.

Reach4

Reaction score
I was wondering about breaking some tiles, while using safety glasses, with a cold chisel and hammer.

Or even try prying out some tiles with a flat blade screwdriver. That would be nice and safe. Try that on the front or back, so there is more space that will be covered by the toilet, in case something goes wrong..

I hope the rough-in number for the toilet matches your new plumbing.

BlueArcher

Reaction score
I hope the rough-in number for the toilet matches your new plumbing.
i should measure it, but if they screwed that up I am going to make them fix all this anyway. they had access to the toilet in advance, and their master plumber measured it and took pictures for the quote.

I have some flex here, though because the tank is wall mounted and connects with a 2" elbow pipe.

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
Blue Archer is reusing and rebuilding the original toilet in this 84 year old house So it would be no excuse to rough it in wrong

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks