Glued in Y too far out

Users who are viewing this thread

rhw80

Reaction score
After replacing a 2 bowl kitchen sink with a 1 bowl sink, the new sink has the drain opening much closer to the rear of the sink, it's not centered front to back. As a result the garbage disposer hits the existing Y coming out of the wall. The Y is glued to the pipe about 1/4" inside the wall. Any suggestions on how this gets retrofit? Seems like a job for a pro.

Bob

rhw80

Reaction score
20190801_213306.jpg
20190801_213242.jpg
20190801_193142.jpg
20190801_193131.jpg
Pons N t a photo.
Post a photo.
LUAgWaXhBiLfM4Nh8

Reach4

Reaction score
How far under the sink bowl is that wye?

rhw80

Reaction score
The top of the Y is 7" from the bowl. The center of the drain hole is 10" from the back wall and the Y extends out 9".

Reach4

Reaction score
That hole has enough drop. That is good. If there had been a lot less, you would have had to cut into the wall to move the trap adapter, and the wye would become moot.

I am not a plumber. I think that wye will have to be removed. There appears to be PVC pipe and ABS wye. The cement bond may not be that good, and I am hoping that if you cut the black part off, and did some careful cuts, you could separate the pieces with heat and prying.

Also is the sink hole pretty much centered on the hole in the wall? Even if you got a trap adapter at the wall, would there be enough space to angle to the side.

Cjlambert

Red-Seal Licensed Plumber
Reaction score
Cut the wye off between the black and white in the photo. Buy a fernco band, heat it up so it’s more malleable than usual, then jam it over the hub protruding the wall, and repipe appropriately from that point.

This is not “proper practice” but it will work and it will save you from cutting the wall.

rhw80

Reaction score
Ended up calling a plumber. $650 later he cut the the shorter leg of the Y way back, plugged it, and turned the disposal around and plumbed it into the other side of the Y. Took him 3 hours. Why in the world didn't they put a threaded fitting coming out of the wall.

Thanks for your help!

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
The plumber told me that's a cleanout that you can't use for a drain line.

The top could be used for a cleanout, and the bottom for the sink drain. hj is right.
It's common with a new sink that the drains are rerouted with new pipes. I carry a pipe reamer in the van so that I can cut pipe out of fittings and start fresh from the wall.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks