Best way to plumb new sink drain

Users who are viewing this thread

GCC

Reaction score
Hi all,

Redoing the kitchen and getting close to the end. The original sink base had a double sink and a disposal and looked like the attached pic - with one drain from the disposal side, s connection for sn under cabinet vent, and one drain to the other sink bowl.

We changed it to a single sink, but now the disposal is in the center of the cabinet, in front of the drain pipe. (See other pic)

So I can either come out of the wall with a 90 to the right and the wye it off with one leg for the vent and the other for the disposal..:eek:r I could come out of the wall with a T with one leg going the the left for the vent and the other to the right for rhe disposal…or??!

Also - my old plumbing wasn’t glued onto that pipe coming out of rhe wall, but whatever fitting goes on there, shouldn’t it be glued?

I know this is all hard to imagine…wish I could describe it better.::any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Greg

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
no pictures and your description does not compute . yes if you have glue type fittings the pipes should be glued in

Reach4

Reaction score
Usually there would be a sanitary tee in the wall, and the venting is into the top of the sanitary tee. No visible vent under the kitchen sink. Do you have reason to suspect that is not the case in your setup?

What comes out of the wall? 1.5 inch OD pipe, or 1.9 inch OD plastic pipe, or what?

Caliber_Plumbing

Reaction score
Since you have a disposal in the centre, you can consider using a tee or a wye fitting to create separate paths for the disposal and the vent. Also, does your old plumbing have a glue-type fitting? If yes, it should be glued.

GCC

Reaction score
Since you have a disposal in the centre, you can consider using a tee or a wye fitting to create separate paths for the disposal and the vent. Also, does your old plumbing have a glue-type fitting? If yes, it should be glued.
Not sure why pics aren’t loading. Will try again.

Hard to describe with just words....The problem is the disposal is now in the center of the sink exactly where the pipe comes out, so there isn’t enough room to come out far with anything- and the trap is to the right side of the disposal anyway. I will have to maybe 45 or 90 or tee it to one side. Wasn’t sure the best way to do it. There are a few options...

If I Tee it so the T connects to the pipe coming out of the wall (1 1/2" OD PVC), can the vent go to the left of the disposal and the right go to the disposal trap through some bends (45s or 90s as needed)? I wasn't sure if the vent needed to be on the same leg as the trap.

Or...I could just attach a 90 elbow out of the wall pipe, put a T on it with the vent going up, and then 90 again to the disposal. Or I could put a 45 on the pipe and try to make more of a direct angle to the trp - but the vent might have clearnace issues under the sink that way.

I wasn't sure the best way to do it to allow the vent (air admittance valve) to work properly - or if it mattered. It could be as long as the vent is on the pipe somehwere it works - but does that somehwere have to be between the trap and the wall pipe or can it be on the other side of the sink altogther?

If the pics come through, you will see the old configuration. I was able to pull that 3 way fitting right off the pipe in the wall. It wasn’t leaking, but I thought it should have been glued. Glad it wasn’t though as it made it easier to just pull it off and it is just long enough to put a new fitting on. I just want to make sure I put the right one on.

Seems I can't upload any photos for some reason...not sure why. I just keep getting an "oops we ran into a problem" message.

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
Sorry I cant read through this . a pipe comes out of wall with p trap up to garbage disposal very basic are you saying there is no vent?

Reach4

Reaction score
For now, pix are not loading. You can put the picture up on a different service, and post the link here.

You may have a trap adapter at the wall, that accepts 1-1/2 OD slip joint pipe. That can simplify things. There would be a nut that tightens or loosens. With slip joint, you can mix metal and plastic pipe.

To put a slip joint 45 into that, get a "double offset". https://www.homedepot.com/p/The-Plu...bular-Drain-Applications-22GA-21222/312671461 is an example.

Cut the double offset to the length you want, and use only one portion for your installation. Put the cut end into the trap adapter. Then put a plastic p-trap pipe into the end with a nut, and point that to where it has to be to meet the curved discharge tube out of the disposal.

Note that you can rotate the disposal to get the discharge tube where you want it. It will not be pointing to the back, but probably to a side.

This thread looks similar to your situation:

This thread is not your situation, unless your trap adapter is too high:

This is also not your situation, but it might relate partially:

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks