Generator & furnace

Users who are viewing this thread

chowceal

Reaction score
hello all! im curious about a problem i had today with trying to get my furnace to stay on. we lost power yesterday ( the wind storm), and i run my furnace off my generator when this happens. never had an issue until today. everytime i turned the furnace on, it would cycle normally until it got to the part of staying on. as soon as the flames came on, the furnace would cut off, then start all over again. i cleaned the flame sensor and installed a new igniter. neither helped. the furnace is older and has always worked for me this way. as soon as the power came back on, the furnace ran normally. someone mentioned maybe low gas pressure. im trying to get this figured out, i bought the generator to heat my house. any ideas? i dont understand why it didnt work, and what the difference is between generator and house electrical. i would really appreciate it.........

Stuff

Reaction score
A flame sensor relies on a good ground. Verify your generator or transfer switch has the bonding jumper installed and ground is connected the whole way.

chowceal

Reaction score
A flame sensor relies on a good ground. Verify your generator or transfer switch has the bonding jumper installed and ground is connected the whole way.
ive used it for 2yrs to power the furnace. this is the first time ive had an issue.

Stuff

Reaction score
If something works on house power and doesn't work on generator it usually means the generator or its connection is the issue.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Is the generator one of those that produces stepped sine waves versus true sine wave outputs? A stepped sine wave can give some devices problems, and, it may take awhile...some just plain won't work with that type. They produce a lot of harmonics, and that can break down the electronic devices eventually.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks