#4 birning smell under sink

#5 wait 15 min and repeat step #1

what am i doing wrong:mad:

barry

d1a2n3i4@aol.com

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
You may not be doing anything wrong...if the motor shaft turns freely with the wrench, and you're getting the proper power to the motor, it should run. You could have a bad switch, and the voltage acutally getting to the motor isn't right, that might be the source. You'd need a multimeter to check that out. If the voltage is correct (and you may want to check it while the switch is on - shouldn't take long, then turn it off), the motor is probably shot.

You had duplicate messages, I deleted the other one.

tyee

Reaction score
thanks jadnashua

update

neighbor came over and I went to show him and it started for 20 seconds then shut off

at least it cleaned out the garburator

burnung smell under sink he thinks the motor is shot

Bombjay

Reaction score
I will state the obvious...
Your garbage grinder is in a better place now.
Time for a nice shiney new one!

Mikey

Aspiring Old Fart, EE, computer & networking geek
Reaction score
Could it be that the centrifugal switch that switches the start capacitor in and out is shot? I'm not sure what would happen if the thing remained in "start" mode, but I doubt it would be good. I think in any case bombjay's analysis is on target. Once that burning smell starts and the smoke leaks out, it's probably time to retire it.

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Yup... Time for that high arcing trajectory with the collision at the bottom of the dumpster!

tyee

Reaction score
rip

yes it has gone to rest what really shocked me was the price difference

Bager 5 Home Depot $84.00

Bager 5 Rona $139.00

tyee

Reaction score
prices

I would like to thank everybody for their help i have my new garburator installed. My one peeve is with Home Depot I went online and a Bager 5 was $84.00 great went down to Home Depot no Bager 5s no Bager 9s only Bager 5XP $159.00 asked about the first model only can be ordered online not carried in the store My sink was taken apart so i bot the Bager 5XP.

DallasDIY

Reaction score
Since you've already made your purchase and installed it, I know this is like locking the barn door after the horse is gone. However, personal experience has shown me that buying the largest disposal you can afford is much better in the long run.

When our current house was built, we had a 1/4 or 3/8 hp Badger unit. If it even sniffed a carrot or potato peel, it would tend to clog. I was continually unhooking the PVC piping to get a clog out of the P-trap or the diverter tee. Fortunately, I'd gotten pretty quick about it.

I finally got disgusted enough that I ripped out the old one and got a 1-hp model similar to the current Evolution Excel and it has made a world of difference. In the six years or so that it's been in, I've probably only had one clog from somebody sticking a bushel of potato peels in before turning on the water and the switch.

As my wife likes to say, "This thing will even do tree limbs and body parts."

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Since you've already made your purchase and installed it, I know this is like locking the barn door after the horse is gone. However, personal experience has shown me that buying the largest disposal you can afford is much better in the long run.

When our current house was built, we had a 1/4 or 3/8 hp Badger unit. If it even sniffed a carrot or potato peel, it would tend to clog. I was continually unhooking the PVC piping to get a clog out of the P-trap or the diverter tee. Fortunately, I'd gotten pretty quick about it.

I finally got disgusted enough that I ripped out the old one and got a 1-hp model similar to the current Evolution Excel and it has made a world of difference. In the six years or so that it's been in, I've probably only had one clog from somebody sticking a bushel of potato peels in before turning on the water and the switch.

As my wife likes to say, "This thing will even do tree limbs and body parts."

I knew there was a reason why I recommended the Insinkerator evolution!:D

adb

Reaction score

That sounds like the ISE 777SS. My parents have the rebadged Kitchenaid version of that unit in their house. I have fed it steak bones and other similar garbage disposal no-nos before just to see what would happen. Here's what happened: it ground them up in near silence. :)

The new Evolution units apparently have even more advanced jam sensing and clearing. Instead of auto-reversing with each start-up, they will actually detect a jam on-the-fly and reverse to clear it. Pretty neat technology.

I had a bad experience with the Badger 1 that came with my house (I fed it a substantial dose of pot roast, which it did not digest fully before shoving it about ten feet down the waste line under pressure... imagine the fun that ensued), and now refuse to buy anything less than 5/8 HP.

The Badger 5 XP the original poster ended up buying is an excellent unit that should not give him any trouble.

tyee

Reaction score
oops

Yes i got it hooked up but forgot to punch out the side for the dishwasher hose. Dishwasher flooded everywhere . note to self read all the instructions

Mikey

Reaction score
You're not the first to do that, and not the last either, but you won't do it again!

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
The Badger 5 XP the original poster ended up buying is an excellent unit that should not give him any trouble.

Until the grind chamber rusts out and packs the drain with unground food waste. 2 year guarantee.

Mikey

Reaction score
The new Evolution units apparently have even more advanced jam sensing and clearing. Instead of auto-reversing with each start-up, they will actually detect a jam on-the-fly and reverse to clear it. Pretty neat technology.
On another thread, another posted and I found we had the same problem with our Evolutions -- a slight pause and hum on startup. That turns out to be the microprocessor in the disposer booting up and starting the jam detection process. The next generation will probably have an IP address:D.

adb

Reaction score
Until the grind chamber rusts out and packs the drain with unground food waste. 2 year guarantee.

My in-laws have a Badger 5 (non-XP) in a second kitchen 500 yards from the Atlantic Ocean. The environment down there rusts powder-coated metal furniture in a year, stainless gas grills in two. The ISE Badger 5 has been used for all manner of fish-cleaning remnants and general kitchen cleanup since 2001. No problems. I think it has jammed one time, ever (and I jammed it :rolleyes:).

If it has lived seven years down there, it'll live ten or more in an ordinary home if it is taken care of (i.e. not run dry or used to dispose of surplus gravel).

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks