Gap between shower pan and studs

Users who are viewing this thread

Bratan

Reaction score
Looking for an advise :)
I'm installing 4 piece pre-made shower (pan, back wall, side walls) and there's a big gap of 1-1/2" between back wall studs and shower pan :(
What would be the best way to breach the gap, extend studs? 2-3 layer of 1/2" backerboard or some kind of long wood planks (parallel to the floor)? Some other option?
Single wood plank will take care of pan problem, but then there's back wall that needs to be installed and then on top of it there will be drywall (going to the ceiling)....
20130327_134527.jpg

Bratan

Reaction score
Last edited:

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
If the walls are not perfectly flat and plumb and in plane with each other, just take a new, full-sized stud and screw/glue it to the side of the existing ones and make it nice and plumb and square. Quicker and easier than ripping a bunch of studs that won't take into consideration any bowing or other issues unless you want to try to make some really long tapered shims, or if bowed, curved, which would be really difficult.

Bratan

Reaction score
If the walls are not perfectly flat and plumb and in plane with each other, just take a new, full-sized stud and screw/glue it to the side of the existing ones and make it nice and plumb and square. Quicker and easier than ripping a bunch of studs that won't take into consideration any bowing or other issues unless you want to try to make some really long tapered shims, or if bowed, curved, which would be really difficult.
Good point! Actually I just got another suggestion from someone. I don't have to rip/cut anything, just buy 2x4 and screw them to the existing stud but at 90 degree angle, so it will be like "T" shape if looking from top/ceiling. Since 2x4 is actually 1.5 inch it would make the gap. But yeah if wall is uneven or new studs wrapped I'll have a problem...

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks