Free Standing Bathtub Drain Angle

Users who are viewing this thread

av76

Reaction score
We are installing a free standing tub. The overflow is in a cavity of the tub behind an access panel. The angle of the wall of the tub causes the overflow to not be vertical. This causes the trap arm to slope upwards. See the attached diagram. I see a couple options:
1. Place a couple 22.5 degree (or 11.25 degree) elbows right after the trap to get the proper angle. The red circle is where I think the elbows should be added.
2. Place the elbows in the overflow pipe to get the angle correct. Green circle in the diagram.

The tub is in Michigan. Either option seems to be code compliant, but is there a preferred method, or a completely different option that is better? Thanks.

Attachments

• TubDrain.jpg
    TubDrain.jpg
    29.8 KB · Views: 130

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
I know what you are talking about but never had to do what you propose. some overflow kits have a tapered washer washer some just a thick foamy angles are typicaly off a bit but always been able to fit it up .

John Gayewski

In the Trades
Reaction score
It's not possible to lengthen the tub shoe arm and push the vertical overflow portion to a true vertical?

If not, yeah use a couple horizontal 22.5° fittings. I don't think your gonna find 11.25° fittings.

av76

Reaction score
Unable to lengthen the tub shoe arm to push the overflow vertical. The outside of the tub is in the way. I'll go with the horizontal 22.5 degree fittings unless I hear something different. Thanks.

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
Unable to lengthen the tub shoe arm to push the overflow vertical. The outside of the tub is in the way. I'll go with the horizontal 22.5 degree fittings unless I hear something different. Thanks.
sure that works fine I forgot I have offset the overflow many times but for reasons like a joist in way of p trap it does actually allow overflow to follow the angle better.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks