Foundation crack

Discussion in 'Remodel Forum & Blog' started by rburt5, May 11, 2019.

1. rburt5

rburt5 Member

I noticed a pretty big crack in the corner of my foundation while spraying for ants. It’s an area of the house with a craw space and a single story over it. Is it something to be concerned about? Bad enough to call a pro to look at it? Or just keep an eye on it? I attached a photo.

Attached Files:

2. cacher_chick

cacher_chick Test, Don't Guess!

Test, Don't Guess!
    I would fix it and watch to see if it opens back up.

3. Sponsor

Sponsor Paid Advertisement

4. Terry

Terry Administrator Staff Member

Plumber
    Foundations often crack. I would not worry about that one. There looks to be little or no displacement. It's what concrete blocks or concrete can do.
    Some with poured concrete drives. It's why they have expansion joints for those. Not really expansion, more like contraction.

5. jadnashua

jadnashua Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx

Retired Systems engineer for defense industry.
    Do you have a lot of clay in your area? Clay can expand and contract quite a bit as it absorbs and then gives up moisture through the seasons. If your footings didn't take that into account, cracks are more likely.

Lay a straight-edge across it. If the two sides are displaced rather than just separated, it might be more of a concern. Otherwise, just watch it. A flexible filler could be used, or inject some epoxy for a more permanent solution to bugs, etc.

6. rburt5

rburt5 Member

Thanks for the advice. We don’t really have much clay but this land used to be a swampy area. It was drained 40 years ago and a housing development built. Maybe I’ll fill it with something to help me notice if it gets worse. Thanks again.