Flushometer handle drips briefly during flush - what's needed for more than a temporary fix?

Users who are viewing this thread

JimNY

Reaction score
Sequence: Plumber is over for an unrelated problem, and asked to look at the handle. Says "easy fix" and swaps in a new handle. Leak stops for a few months. Then repeat.

Curious if there perhaps is a more deeply internal part that could use attention? (Presto Valve, Coyne and Delaney, Brooklyn NY, Pat. Pend.) Or is it likely that whatever "washer" is sealing there is continually degrading?

Thanks.

PS Don't think the last plumber even shut off the water to do the handle-assembly swap. Is a swap that simple?

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Basically a flushometer valve. The shutoff is on the angle that comes from the wall. A flat blade screwdriver will close and open it.

flushometer-shutoff.jpg

JimNY

Reaction score
Thanks Terry, but guess I'm just a bit thick tonight in parsing your reply.

> Basically a flushometer valve.
Just identifying the class of mechanism parts? Or suggesting might need to replace the whole flushometer to avoid a repeating drip condition? (Wonder if unmodified modern ones are available with enough gpf/volume for a 1940s-50s toilet.)

> The shutoff is on the angle that comes from the wall.
Had thought the handle assembly might actually remain "dry" except during the flush (as it seems in the video) permitting a chance for a very careful replacement - but could be I didn't notice him use the local shut-off.

breplum, Much appreciate the link to the 223-2A-K stem+seal combo - allowed me to find it in the pdf parts diagram at linked at delanyproducts.com which looks as if to go from an entire handle-assembly (P333A), to the combo (P223-2A-K), to a "rubberflex" seal alone (222-3). Though guess should check if the "P" and non-"P" 223-2A-Ks are interchangeable (looks like a 1/8" difference in listed "overall length"); not this listing, but some other parts like 333A say "except Presto"

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks