Flotec Check Valve Problem

Users who are viewing this thread

Eddle6389

Reaction score
I finally got my sewage pump hooked and and I am having problems with the 2 inch Flotec check valve. I am getting small leaks on the upstream side of the check valve.

The valve is installed at a 45 degree angle. I am a bit confused about the instructions. The valve has flow arrows and also instructions that says "this end up for horizontal or vertical". Are you supposed to install it based on the flow arrows (which makes sense based on the positioning of the flapper) or on the "this end up for horizontal"?

Also - should the PVC connecting to the valve seat all the way against the rim of the valve?

Any ideas on how to fix the small leaks?

Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
valve

You are looking at two different things. The arrow shows the flow direction. The "this side up for horizontal" means that the side with the flap's "hinge" has to be on top when you install it. Otherwise the flap does not hang down and it will not work. A leak means you have to tighten it more. Th PVC should not be able to enter the valve to interfere with the flap's operation.

Eddle6389

Reaction score
Valve - Part 2

Thanks HJ,

I now understand the markings on the valve.

The valve is a PVC type - Should I use a wrench to tighten - or by hand?

Also - Inside the valve are "stops" where the PVC pipe won't enter into the valve. Does the pipe need to extend all the way to these stops or can it terminate before them?

Last Question - The rubber gaskets that seal the valve to the pipe - I think my leak may be occurring because I don't have those seals correctly installed. I am assuming that when you tighten down the valve that the gaskets should seat properly in their channel. I can't get the valve over the pipe if I install the gaskets in the valve...

Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
valve

You seem to be describing three different types of valve. Does it have internal threads for a pipe to screw into it? Or does it have sockets that pieces of pipe are glued into it? Or finally, does it have "slip" ends that fit into a rubber coupling with hose clamps?

Eddle6389

Reaction score
Picture of Check Valve

Sorry for the confusion. It has a a threaded cap with an internal compression gasket that is supposed to seal the connection between the pipe and valve.

bestc1

Reaction score
I have the same type of check valve. You're supposed to hand tighten it, then use a wrench and turn it one additional turn. Also, the PVC pipes should go to the stops (This'll help prevent pipe movement, when the valve shuts).

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks