Most efficient type check valve for separating non filtered water

Users who are viewing this thread

bikeboy

Reaction score
I'm installing a basic carbon water filter to filter chlorine from a city water supply. I've tee'd a line to all outside faucets ahead of the filter tank on the supply before entering line side of filter tank to not filter outside water. I'm assuming i'll have to install a check valve of sort to stop backflow from filter tank. I'm assuming a flapper type would be more efficient than a spring unit for better flow but may be orientation pedicular (only horizontally) operable. Don't know about a ball type. I've found a brass flapper type w/a silicon seal on Amazon.

Please reply if can help;
Thank You...

Reach4

Reaction score
I don't remember anybody suggesting a flapper type check valve for supply lines. I would go spring-loaded.

Bannerman

Reaction score
Is your plumbing system equipped with a thermal expansion tank? If so where is it located?

A check valve located between the water heater inlet and the expansion tank, will isolate the expansion tank from the source of expansion.

If there is no source of water pressure after the carbon system, I don't see much benefit in utilizing a check valve. Without a source of pressure (ex; pressure tank, thermal expansion tank, additional water supply) after the carbon system, there will be little if any back pressure or backflow through the carbon system.

bikeboy

Reaction score
I have two water heaters opposite sides of house. Closest unit to the in water supply has a WH and has a exp. tank just above the inlet supply to that WH. The in main water supply is located about 20 ft from that WH. Please explain.

Thank You...

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
Without a source of pressure (ex; pressure tank, thermal expansion tank, additional water supply) after the carbon system, there will be little if any back pressure or backflow through the carbon system.
A properly precharged expansion tank should seldom be a source of stored volume since the precharge would be the same as static. The stored volume would only increase when water is being heated at a time of no water use.

The small amount of reverse flow through the carbon filter should not be enough to unseat the media pack so the installation of a check valve is optional. Either a swing or spring type would work and the approx. 2 PSI required to open a spring type would not be noticeable unless the static pressure is poor to begin with.

bikeboy

Reaction score
Thank You w/ reply;
It may not upset the media in tank, but would there be a need for a check valve on the input to stop filtered water to being drawn to the outside faucets ? Most spring check valves I've bought were of high cracking pressure, which is why I've considered a horizontal mount swing type.

bikeboy

Reaction score
found a shark bite check valve @ local Home Depot ; probably a spring type; and has very easy cracking pressure that should be able to be mounted any direction and easily removed.

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks