Fleck 7000 sxt

Users who are viewing this thread

adayrider

Reaction score
What info do I need, or procedure do I need to perfom to determine if my pump, well, tank ect. can flow enough to support a fleck 7000 valve? My house is plumbed with 3/4 pex but it would not be hard to go 1" from the tank T to fleck valve. Everything is brand new 4 months ago (well, pump, house, everything).

Reach4

Reaction score
The pump needs to provide enough water to flow at the DLFC (Drain Line Flow Control), which is the limiter for the backwash flow rate. That would be the biggest flow used during regeneration, and that regeneration is normally scheduled in the middle of the night.

That valve can be used for various purposes (filters and softener). So it would be the application info that would have determined which DLFC was used.

adayrider

Reaction score
Is regeneration scheduled at night even if it is metered? So do I need to know what pump I have? Or is there a test I can run to determine the output of pump. Or both? The well is 250 ft. This will be used for softner.

Reach4

Reaction score
Is regeneration scheduled at night even if it is metered? So do I need to know what pump I have? Or is there a test I can run to determine the output of pump. Or both? The well is 250 ft. This will be used for softner.
Nearly always, but that is not mandatory. It is programmable.

It is unlikely that your softener will use a backwash greater than 5 GPM. IT is unlikely that your well provides less than 5 GPM. It is fairly rare for a well pump to not keep up with a softener. Your 3/4 PEX will keep up with such rates no problem. During backwash the backwash water comes out of the drain line tubing. That is typically 1/2 inch tubing.

I suspect probabilities may not enough for you since you are cautious. In that case, look around for info on your pump. Also, for a given pump, the pumping rate will be determined by how far down it is for water rather than the depth of the well. While knowing the pump and well info is good, you can measure. That measurement will be easiest with more than one person. It will involve opening more than one faucet probably. And the measurement should start shortly after the pump has kicked on. You will want to see that the pressure does not drop while the pump is running and the water is being drawn so that you know the flow rate is not being supplemented by the pressure tank.. So maybe one person will shout the pump start and watch the gauge while two more people run buckets and watches at a running tap to get two concurrent flows. If one faucet can provide more than you need, then

Also, what do you know about the softener? Have you picked it out? If not, you will want to get a good water test first. Then see http://www.qualitywaterassociates.com/softeners/sizingchart.htm and http://www.qualitywaterassociates.com/sizing.php for good sizing help.

Last edited:

Bannerman

Reaction score
The flow required is not based on the valve but is dictated by the diameter of the media tank and the media contained. The larger the diameter and\or the heavier the media, the higher the flow rate required to properly expand and clean the media bed.

The valve needs to support the tank size required which the 7000 will support tanks from 8" - 24" diameter. Your pump and plumbing need to supply the DLFC required to adequately backwash the media.

For a water softener, the media (resin) is not heavy and so does not require a high flow rate for backwashing. The DLFC for a 10" diameter tank (1.5 cu/ft) is typically 2.4 GPM whereas a 12" tank (2 cuft) will need about 3 GPM. Unless your water requirements are unusually high or your water is extremely hard, most residential requirements will be satisfied with a 1.5 or 2 cuft softener.

Is regeneration scheduled at night even if it is metered?
Metering will only tell the controller when a set volume of water has flowed through the softener. Once a specific volume has been reached, regeneration will be triggered but regeneration will likely not occur immediately.

With a single tank softener, soft water will not be delivered while regeneration is occuring so regeneration is typically delayed to a time when soft water is unlikely to be needed. In a home, soft water is not required continuously as most occupants sleep at the same time. Regeneration is typically set to occur when everyone is sleeping.

Last edited: