Fleck 5800SXT with 1.5 GAC then 48K set up settings

Users who are viewing this thread

Kevin2u

Reaction score
I'm replacing my Fleck 7000 SE with two new tanks both with Fleck 5800 SXT meters. Carbon then the softener. I have read to set carbon on 28 days backwash cycle. I don't know any of the other settings. How long to backwash etc...
Then how to set up the 48K softener with 10% resin after the carbon unit? I never thought this would be so technical. I'm so happy to have found this website! Thank you in advance.

Bannerman

Reaction score
Appropriate SXT controller settings for the carbon filter: RF = Filter, CT = tc, DO = 28 days, RT = 2:00 am
A carbon filter will be typically programmed to backwash for 10-minutes, and 5-minutes for Rapid Rinse. If there is visible sediment in the incoming water, the carbon should be back washed more frequently than 1X per month for a longer duration (15-20 minutes).

Fleck 5800SXT Settings for 1.5 ft3 softeners:
DF = Gal ; Units
VT = 5800 ; Valve type
RF = DF1b ; Down Flow - Single Backwash
CT = Fd ; Regeneration Control Type
C = 36.0 ; capacity X 1000 grains
H = ? ; Hardness setting grains per gallon (determine hardness using Hach 5B kit at your location)
RS = cr ; Variable Reserve automatically calculated from usage history
DO = 28
RT = 3:00 ; Regen time
BD = 60 ; Brine draw minutes
BW = 6; Backwash minutes
RR = 5; Rapid Rinse minutes
BF = 32 minutes - Brine Fill (based on 0.125 GPM BLFC - confirm from label afixed to brine valve)
FM = t0.7 ; Flow meter = 3/4" turbine
RE = OFF ; Relay setting

Last edited:

Kevin2u

Reaction score
The input is .25 GPM and .75LB Salt/MIN. I have a few more questions and very thankful for your help!!
Meters.jpg

#1 So does the .25 GPM change anything or just the fact I enter a different value?
#2 Does the fact the carbon treating the water before the softener alter the softener settings as opposed to raw water?
#3 My tap water is 255 PPM, is that same as hardness?

Reach4

Reaction score
1. You would reduce 36 to 18.
2. No.
3. 255 ppm what? If that is 255 ppm hardness, divide by 17.1 to get grains. If it is TDS, no it is not hardness.

Bannerman

Reaction score
#1: As your BLFC will flow 2X more water than anticipated into the brine tank, the Brine Fill setting will need to be only 50% as long so 16 minutes. (16 minutes BF X 0.75 lbs/min = 12 lbs salt) 12 lbs salt is appropriate to regenerate 36,000 grains Capacity in a 1.5 ft3 softener.

#2: Carbon does not remove hardness.

#3: How did you measure 255 ppm?

As your softener's Flow Meter is not a Turbine but is a Paddle Wheel, the appropriate setting will be FM = P0.7

Last edited:

Reach4

Reaction score
If you want the tanks closer to the wall, you could put in elbows. 19620-01 ............Yoke Assy, 3/4", R/Angle, 90 Deg

I did the comparable thing with my Fleck 5810SXT, which uses a different connection system than the 5800.

Attachments

• IMG_fleck_profile2.jpg
    IMG_fleck_profile2.jpg
    6 KB · Views: 181
Last edited:

ditttohead

Water systems designer, R&D
Reaction score
The paddle meter adds a few inches to the systems depth. Years ago the turbine meter had some reliability issues so some companies switched to the more reliable paddle. Now that the turbine wheel meter issues have been corrected, the turbine wheel is nearly identical in reliability to the paddle wheel.

Last edited:

Kevin2u

Reaction score
Well it has taken this carpenter all day to rework my plumbing and hook up the two units. I found out the instructions assumes the installer knows where to connect the power cord. LOL
20210124_110621.jpg
20210124_194549.jpg
20210124_194602.jpg
20210124_194659.jpg
Next programing! Really could not have been able to do this without everyone helping. THANK YOU

Kevin2u

Reaction score
Just wanted to double check if this is correct?

DF = Gal ; Units
VT = 5800 ; Valve type
C = 18.0 ; capacity X 1000 grains
H = ? ; Hardness setting grains per gallon (determine hardness using Hach 5B kit at your location)
DO = 28
BW = 6; Backwash minutes
BF = 16 minutes - Brine Fill (based on 0.75 GPM BLFC - confirm from label affixed to brine valve)
FM = Po.7
RE = OFF ; Relay setting

Thanks again!

Bannerman

Reaction score
As specified previously:

Fleck 5800SXT Settings for 1.5 ft3 softener:

H = ? ; Hardness setting grains per gallon (determine hardness using Hach 5B kit at your location

BF = 16 minutes - Brine Fill (based on 0.25 GPM BLFC - confirm from label afixed to brine valve)

FM = p0.7 ; Flow meter = 3/4" paddle wheel

Kevin2u

Reaction score
C = my softener is 48K so I now understand to change that!
The GAC unit is 1.5 cubic media, I set it up on timer!!
I just order the Hach 5B, will test next week.
20210120_205014.jpg

I watched it cycle, I didn't see the salt brine go down any? I need to rework my drain to handle the larger volume it puts out. I pulled the power as my drain was over flowing. I now have code "1199". I really appreciate all the expertise everyone gives!!

Bannerman

Reaction score
I need to rework my drain to handle the larger volume it puts out.
What larger volume are you referring to? A softener containing 1.5 ft3 resin will typically utilize a 10" X 54" tank. To backwash softener resin in a 10" tank, the drain rate will be usually 2.4 GPM DLFC as specified on a label usually located nearby to the drain line connection

As your carbon filter appears to utilize the same size tank, the DLFC rate will likely be between 4.3 - 6.5 GPM.

Kevin2u

Reaction score
Very very helpful again! The older 700 SE unit didn't drain out as fast. It could be I had the valve in bypass when I first started re-gen. 1o minutes later when I moved it to service it blasted water up out of the small drain. The 48K softener w/10% resin and 1.5 cu. ft. carbon both have the 10"x 54" tanks. I would love to test the water and double check all the setting on the forum??

Kevin2u

Reaction score
I now see what you have been working to explain to me (GEE). Yes both units are 1.5 ft3.

I just tested my water supply is 20 grains. My house water is 5 grains, but I think it has some non treated mixed in the lines?? The shower with KDF screw on filter is 3 grains. Do you know if those sounds typical?

DF = Gal ; Units
VT = 5800 ; Valve type
H = 20 ; Hardness setting grains per gallon (determine hardness using Hach 5B kit at your location)
DO = 28
BW = 6; Backwash minutes
BF = 16 minutes - Brine Fill (based on 0.25 GPM BLFC - confirm from label affixed to brine valve)
FM = Po.7
RE = OFF ; Relay setting

Kevin2u

Reaction score
Update.
My water is now testing soft. Now I'm looking for ways to test for other contaminants in my water. Thanks for such a great forum and members!

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks