First floor toilet overflowing

Users who are viewing this thread

svu152

Reaction score
Hello, I'm new to this post. I saw some interesting notes on fixing various problems. I am hoping someone can help me with mine. Yesterday during the hurricaane (we did not get any damage to far south thank god) I went down stairs and smelled something awful the toilet had backed up as well as the sink, the kitchen sink,and the washing machine. I beleive the dishwasher also backed up. I released the pressure from the rear valve but the toilet would not go down. All the other area returned to normal. I had a friend come out a run an electric snake in the front of the house through the main sewage line ( PVC pipe). The stoppage appeared to be only a foot or two toward the house.It cleared up he left and it started again. I flush the toilet upstairs and it begins to fill up. If I turn on the water (sink) next to the toilet it begins to bubbke and will not go down for a while.Does anyone have any ideas? Thank you in advance. :confused:

Thanks for your help I figured it out it ended up being a break in the main line. I had to dig it up and replace the damaged PVC pipes. Apparently someone drove a stake into the pipe a while ago and it slowly grew roots inside the pipe causing it to back up. I replaced the pipes with a friend and the problem appears to have been fixed.Thanks again.

Last edited:

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
toilet

Yes. The sewer is still obstructed. Unless your friend is a plumber he probably does not have the size snake required for your main line. A small snake will open a small hole, but as soon as a load of toilet paper hits it it will plug up again.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks