Faucet failed after 3 months? Is this common?

Users who are viewing this thread

Cabin_Mama

Reaction score
I replaced a bathroom sink faucet a few months ago. I bought a low-end Glacier Bay faucet from Home Depot (I know, I know, but we're planning to remodel this bathroom eventually and I needed a quick fix!).

Installation went smoothly and things were just fine until last weekend when I discovered it was leaking underneath. After drying up and careful observation, water is coming out between the plastic mounting nut and the underside of the sink basin. On both sides. It's not leaking at the supply connections or anywhere else. Which leads me to believe there's been some sort of failure inside the faucet. However, I checked the handle cartridges and they still looked brand new to me.

I plan to get the company or Home Depot to replace the thing, but is this common?? I didn't expect a lifetime of service, but three months? Or is there something here I'm not understanding? I'm bewildered, so I'll appreciate any thoughts!

Cabin_Mama

Reaction score
Update! The aerator, which I had taken off at the time to clean it out, had to be tightened. A LOT. Way more than I have ever had to tighten any aerator before. Noted for next time.
Thanks to this thread for turning on the lightbulb in my head.

Reach4

Reaction score
Are you saying that tightening the aerator fixed the whole problem?

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
some faucets even removing the aerator causes water to leak inside the spout and drip down under counter top

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks