Aerator Causing Water To Back Up In Faucet

Users who are viewing this thread

Enilnoda

Reaction score
Hi,
I took off the aerator on my bathroom sink. When I put it back on, it caused problems.
When I turn on the water with the aerator in place, the water backs up into
the base of the faucet and runs on to the floor through the hole where the rod for the sink
stopper is.

I'm not sure that is clear. The faucet has separate hot and cold taps on a single base. In the
middle of them is the rod that lifts the sink stopper up and down. That rod extends through a
hole in the sink and connects underneath the sink to the mechanism that operates the sink
stopper.

So the water backs up from the aerator, into the faucet base, and runs through the hole in the sink
that the rod runs through. None of this was happening before I took the aerator off. It doesn't look
dirty or clogged. Can you tell me what the problem is & how to fix it?

Thanks.

Reach4

Reaction score
When I turn on the water with the aerator in place, the water backs up into
the base of the faucet and runs on to the floor through the hole where the rod for the sink
stopper is.
Are you saying that the problem water comes out of the base of the chrome and gets to the floor having not gotten into the bowl?

If so, replacing the faucet would be an easy repair. If you are looking to repair your existing faucet, I suggest you at least post a photo. And even then there may be no easy repair.

Last edited:

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
The aerator has a rubber washer that seals where it connects to the faucet. It must be threaded up snuggly so that that rubber washer can make a seal.

delta-aerator-with-tool.jpg

Last edited:

John Gayewski

In the Trades
Reaction score
Aerators can be tough to grip well enough to compress the rubber washer. It just needs to be tighter.

Enilnoda

Reaction score
Thanks. That worked. I tried tightening it with a wrench, but the wrench just slipped around it & didn't grip it. So I tried again with my hand. It seemed to be as tight as I could make it already. It didn't seem to turn at all. But when I tested it again, the problem was gone. So, I guess I must have tightened it some. Thanks again.