electrical vs. plumbing solder

Discussion in 'Shower & Bathtub Forum & Blog' started by mikekenmore, Aug 16, 2015.

1. mikekenmore

mikekenmore Member

so i soldered up my shower piping last night. i ran out of my starter kit of plumbers solder and grabbed the other roll i bought. however, i didn't realize the other roll was "electrical" solder other than the fact it was smaller diameter and melted more quickly.

i've read through some old threads that talk about not using electrical solder for plumbing, but those seemed to be pertaining more to lead based ones. see photo for what i used. as far as i can tell, the electrical solder i used has silver and is lead free. i prepped all the joints the same with flux.

so, is it okay to leave as is, or do i need to disassemble? i pressure tested last night and it was fine. but, i'm worried about long-term issues. thanks.

Attached Files:

2. Reach4

Reach4 Well-Known Member

Leave it. No problem.

3. Sponsor

Sponsor Paid Advertisement

4. mikekenmore

mikekenmore Member

bummer. i just replaced it all with the correct solder. oh well.

5. Reach4

Reach4 Well-Known Member

That works. I expect that the main difference is that the electrical solder has a non-corrosive flux core, and the plumbing solder expects that you will use a more active flux suitable for higher temperatures.