Elbow before p trap.

Users who are viewing this thread

wvphysics

Reaction score
Can you have any elbows between the p trap and the shower drain? I need to offset a little to go around an obstructing joist and then back to connect to the existing p trap. I am already using an offset drain but it still just barely doesn't clear the edge but I can get an elbow in. The only limits so far I have found are just straight distance vertically and horizontally. If you can have elbows, is there a limit to how many or like a total amount of degrees?

wvphysics

Reaction score
Thanks. My plumbing terminology might be a bit off so I want to make sure I understand. Is the "trap arm" the section of pipe that goes from the outlet of the p-trap to the rest of the drainage and vent system? If so, I think I may be talking about the "tail piece," the section of pipe between the drain opening in the shower floor and the inlet of the p-trap. Also, these would be vertical to horizontal and back to vertical changes of direction, no horizontal to horizontal changes.

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks