Eco Drake, Eco Ultramax performance vs the alternatives, 1.28 gpf, std height

Users who are viewing this thread

daniel501

Reaction score
Building a new house in Texas (new regs require 1.28 gpf)... So I'm looking for the best 1.28 gpf, standard/regular height toilet. (I hate "comfort height." I have a comfort height toilet in the current house, and it makes my legs fall asleep if I sit on it for too long. Who decided to call it comfort height?)

I'm disappointed that the Drake II and Ultramax II aren't available in regular height, because my suspicion is that they're significantly better than the Eco Drake/Eco Ultramax. (Am I wrong?)

So, my only option with Toto appears to be the the Eco models. How well do they compare to the 1.6gpf Drake and Ultramax?

Are there any competitive non-Toto toilets that would meet my needs? How well do they compare to the Eco Drake and Eco Ultramax?

Thank you!

Reach4

Reaction score
Check these:

Aquia II Dual Flush Two-Piece Toilet, 1.6 GPF & 0.9 GPF, Elongated Bowl
CST416M#01
(I suspect the dual flush is OK)

Eco Drake Transitional Two-Piece Toilet, 1.28 GPF, Elongated Bowl - CeFiONtect
CST744EGN#01

Eco Drake Transitional Two-Piece Toilet, 1.28 GPF, Round Bowl
CST743EN#01

Eco Drake Two-Piece Toilet, 1.28 GPF, Elongated Bowl
CST744E#01

Eco Drake Two-Piece Toilet, 1.28 GPF, Round Bowl

CST743E#01

Eco Supreme One-Piece Toilet, 1.28 GPF, Elongated Bowl

MS864114E#01

Eco Supreme One-Piece Toilet, 1.28 GPF, Round Bowl

MS863113E#01

Eco UltraMax One-Piece Toilet, 1.28 GPF, Elongated Bowl
MS854114EG#01

Eco UltraMax One-Piece Toilet, 1.28 GPF, Round Bowl
MS853113E#01

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
I like the standard height Ultramax with CEFIONTECT, MS854114EG, installed two of them for a customer in Mukilteo last week.
And the CST744EG Drake is a nice standard height. The 1.28 works very well, and if you have a worry about it, holding the handle down drops more in a heartbeat. Unlike some brands that severly limit how much water you can use. I was in a home a few weeks ago that had the A/S Champion. It would barely flush anything with the factory setting. I adjusted it and it got better. The Champion flush tower sits so high that there is a lot of water and sediment at the bottom of the tank that never leaves.

cst744en-s500e-terrylove-01.jpg

Last edited:

WJcandee

Wise One
Reaction score
The regular Original Drake CST744E is a great toilet, and really a good buy given its performance. It's a workhorse. It comes with two styles of tank, the newer one being on the CST744EN. The newer one is a little more ornate, the older one is modern and really goes anywhere.

Some people like the Drake II and its swirl flush, which may give a little better bowl rinse, but the reality is that the original Drake is and was a great toilet. We have two, and they do an amazing job day after day. You won't be bothered by the 1.28. Instead, I suspect you will be surprised at how much the thing can flush with that little water. And like Terry says, just hold the handle another second and you will get way more water in there than you need. But try it a few times the way it's designed. It does remarkably-well.

Just for historical accuracy, what we now call the Drake II was actually called something else originally; it's really a totally-different appearance and bowl wash design. But after it had been out a while, Toto's marketing people had the brilliant idea to leverage the huge reputation of the Drake for value and a superb flush, and renamed the thing as the Drake II, even though it's a different design. (They did the same thing with the Ultramax, their revered one-piece toilet, and renamed their new one-piece as the Ultramax II after it had been out for a while under a different name.)

daniel501

Reaction score
Thank you!
I told my builder to get us this:
Eco Drake Transitional Two-Piece Toilet, 1.28 GPF, Elongated Bowl - CeFiONtect
CST744EGN#01

I prefer the look of that tank. It's more old-fashioned appearing, less modern, and fit our decor better. Funny how the "new" tank looks older.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks