TOTO Drake II 776 Review and Seeking Alternative Recommendations

Users who are viewing this thread

thrifty_landlord

Reaction score
I am a landlord who values quality and value, and I recently purchased the Toto Drake II 776 as a replacement toilet for an apartment. Many plumbers on this forum recommended this toilet, and I was initially impressed by its elongated design, optimized trap, and highly reviewed flushing performance. However, after installing it and observing its use, I must say that I am disappointed with its overall design.

I have noticed two significant drawbacks to this toilet that have made me reconsider my decision. Firstly, the back of the bowl appears to have a slight bulge towards the center, which catches skid marks and is not cleaned well by the tornado flush. Secondly, and perhaps most disappointing, is the poorly designed front of the bowl, which is not female-friendly and results in urine splashing on the underside of the seat. This was observed by multiple women, so it is not an isolated incident.

I was hoping that the new nano coating would keep the toilet bowl clean, but unfortunately, this doesn't seem to be the case. In my experience, the tornado flush is not as effective as advertised, and the coating appears to be more of a marketing gimmick than a functional solution.

I am seeking recommendations for alternative toilets that which are under 30" in length from the wall, have an optimized trap design, and provide high flushing performance. My hope is I can find a toilet that I can confidently install in all my units. I appreciate any suggestions or insights that you may have.

thrifty_landlord

Reaction score
Thank you for your response and for sharing the previous thread with me. It's surprising to see that there are still similar issues with the Toto Drake toilet from 2014 to now. I was originally convinced that the splashing was due to the new rimless design introduced by Toto in 2021, but it seems like this issue has been present for a while. It's definitely something to keep in mind when considering future toilet purchases.

It's good to hear that the Toto SS154#01 seat may help alleviate the splashing issue. I will definitely reach out to Toto to see if they can provide this alternative seat option.

Lastly, I was wondering if anyone could provide some insights on two potential alternatives to the Toto Drake toilet I'm currently using. Specifically, I'm interested in comparing the bowl design of the Toto Entrada with the Drake. Does the Entrada have a better bowl design for directing contents down and keeping them within the confines of the bowl? Additionally, I'm considering the American Standard Cadet Pro as an alternative, but I'm not sure how it would hold up in a rental property. Any thoughts or experiences with either of these toilets would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

Coco

Reaction score
I just posted this in another thread addressing the female splashback concern:

I registered just to comment on this issue. We just ordered a Toto Drake as part of a master bath remodel (and a Kohler Wellworth for a powder bathroom) and this thread caused me some concern as a female. But then I read the comment set out below expressing the same issue experienced by a woman with the Kohler Wellworth. We have 3 Wellworth toilets with an elongated bowl and I have never ever had any splashback with the Wellworth or any other toilet. I also did some general research and splashback appears to occur at times for both men and women on all kinds of toilets. There is even research on this issue. There are all kinds of possible causes, so while some people may have an issue with any particlar toilet I do not think it is caused by a design defect. Bottom line, I am sticking with the Toto.

Just got a Kohler Wellworth. I'm a female and it splashes back when I pee - a problem I've not experienced with any other toilet. I saw a thread on here "women friendly toilets" about women having splashback issues with the Toto Drake and I'm wondering if any women have had the same problems with the Wellworth. It seems to have the same elongated bowl and the lip at the water line.

https://terrylove.com/forums/index.php?threads/kohler-wellworth-like-toto-drake-women-unfriendly-toilets.70385/

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks