Early 1940s "Standard" Tub Drain

Users who are viewing this thread

Bldn10

Reaction score
I am renovating a house built in the early '40s and it has probably the original cast iron tub w/ probably replacement Sayco faucet and probably original "Standard" drain and overflow. The drain is my problem - it does not close. It is an odd design in that there is a rod that runs horizontally through the pipe below the drain opening. See photo. The operating mechanism is just a lever that flips from one side to the other, moving that rod up and down. Not back and forth. I don't know how this drain worked - did the rod simply raise and lower a stopper of some sort? Did the stopper just sit on the rod by gravity? It must have been heavy. I did not have a proper wrench but I did try unscrewing the drain and I'm afraid that after 80 years it is not going to come out. The hole diameter is 1 1/2".

TubDrain.jpg

Bldn10

Reaction score
Thanks, guys!

Reach4, that looks like a typical trip lever drain but the lever in mine does not move up and down but side to side. It makes about a 270* arc. But same difference - it moves the vertical rod up and down.

Terry, that looks like a combination trip lever and rocker arm pop up! Although I can only see through the drain opening, I do not see any articulations - just a straight rod.

Attached is a crude drawing of what I see from underneath. The rod seems to go through a slot and ride up and down inside that rectangular protrusion. I see no provision for attaching a stopper. The drain you you show does look exactly like mine. I really don't want to take this 80 year old drain apart. :-/

DrainDrawing.jpg

Marlinman

In the Trades
Reaction score
The waste was assembled around the lift rod. Unfortunately the drain stopper is no longer available. There could be some old stock left in someone's inventory. If I run across one I'll post it.

tub-drain-438.jpg

tub-drain-438-parts.jpg

Attachments

• StandardTrim (1).pdf
    193.4 KB · Views: 239
Last edited by a moderator:

Bldn10

Reaction score
That is absolutely it, Marlinman! Thanks.
It does not look like the plunger cage is actually attached to the rod so how would it close tight enough to seal the water out? I might try to find a 1 1/2" plunger and cut it to length and see if it works.

Bldn10

Reaction score
I bought a dumbell wrench but the drain will not budge, it is tighter than the wrench metal is strong. :-/

John Gayewski

In the Trades
Reaction score
There are different tub drain extractors. Remove it and replace it with a toe tap or lift and turn.

You can also peel the flange up to grip it. It'll come out one way or another. Just replace it with a less overly complicated design. These were never a good idea.

Breplum

Licensed plumbing contractor
Reaction score
Heat can help when we find it difficult to remove the top of a drain flange. If that fails, then cutting it out is the way.
Short stroke reciprocating saw vertical cuts into two or three places, then peeling the cuts from the inside.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks