Tub stopper is stuck

Users who are viewing this thread

Paul Altaro

Reaction score
Hello my tub switch (the thing that controls whether the water flows down or blocks water from draining) is not working and feels stuck or broken.

I have unscrewed it and am attempting to pull the drain out and no matter how hard i pull it wont come out. I saw videos and saw how easy it should be.

What could be wrong and how can I fix it? Please help.

altaro-tub-pic-1.jpg

altaro-tub-pic-3.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail on a Cancer Drug Started 1/31/24. ☹
Solutions
Reaction score
Does the lever move at all when it is in place? Does the tub drain or not in its current condition? Does this lever move a stopper at the tub drain or is it just a drain strainer?

tub_drain_linkage.jpg

Reach4

Reaction score
I think your stopper is the kind where you don't see a pop-up when you operate the linkage, but instead has a hidden piston at the bottom of the linkage.

I had to tug really hard, but yours looks a lot newer than mine. I think I might have used a tool to assist the pull and use leverage.

You could maybe very slowly dribble some CLR down there in case it is hardness deposits holding

pp19010.gif

tub-drain-leak-06.jpg

Paul Altaro

Reaction score
Does the lever move at all when it is in place? Does the tub drain or not in its current condition? Does this lever move a stopper at the tub drain or is it just a drain strainer?

tub_drain_linkage.jpg
The level does not move at all when its in place. The tub is currently draining extremely slow.
Im not sure of your last question.

Also i did add clr and it did not work. No matter how hard i pull it wont come out.

Dj2

In the Trades
Reaction score
I think you have a broken link somewhere in the overflow riser pipe.
If that's the case you will have to replace the drain set (average cost $25).
You will need good access to work under/side of the tub. A second floor tub or crawl space is easier to work on than a tub on slab.

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
My wife's tub has the style that @Reach4 showed with the threaded rod. The lock-nut had come loose and over time the adjustment grew longer and longer until the cylinder got stuck. I think bits of corrosion fell down the overflow and jammed it. I squirted WD40 down the overflow and by working the link up and down, it finally came free.

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
Since you say the dub drains slowly, I suspect the cylinder is lower than it should be. If you have a wet/dry shop vac, you might try sucking on the drain while spraying water into the overflow. It might flush out whatever crud is jamming it up.

Paul Altaro

Reaction score
So I got this nice camera online for 30 bucks and this is inside the pipe.

altaro-tub-pic-2.jpg

Paul Altaro

Reaction score
So update. I have had 0 luck but have a photo of the issue I believe. This photo is from the drain pipe looking at the cylinder.

altaro-tub-pic.jpg

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks