Dry well or clogged screen?

Users who are viewing this thread

Bob543

Reaction score
Hi....I have a well that is used only for filling the pond that is used for irrigation. I have been using the existing well since 2008. The rust is bad so the pumps only last for around 3 years. I measured the levels about 10 yrs ago. The water was at 100 feet and the bottom was 230 feet and the pump at 180 feet. The pump stopped last week. Normally when I pull it the pipe is wet after five 20 ft pipes. I measured this time and the water was at 115 feet and the bottom around 213 feet. I dropped a cheaper pump in. It flowed well for about 5 minutes and then reduced to a trickle. I shut it off instantly. After about 20 minutes I turned it on. It ran good for about five minutes and stopped again. I pulled it out assuming it was just a weak pump. Measured the water again and it was 115 feet. The label had come off the pump and was on the inlet screen. I figured this was the problem. I installed a Grundfos and it does the same thing. Pumps nice for a few minutes and stops. The city had sent out notices that new wells had been installed in the area. What is confusing is the neighbors on each side of me are not having this problem. The well driller said that he is getting lots of calls on this side of town with the same problem. Sorry for the long post. I added 6 feet of pipe but it didn't change things. Thanks for any thoughts on this.

Reach4

Reaction score
Next time you pull the pump, you could run some tubing to near the pump. Tape the tubing in place, as you do the water.

If you use an air compressor and a gauge up top, the air pressure that can be held will tell you how far it is from the water level down to the open end of the tube. Stop the pump, and take a reading. For example, if there is 10 ft of water above the end of the pump, the max pressure would be 4.2 psi.

You can get a device that monitors the current, and will shut off the pump for a selectable while if you run out of water.

Bob543

Reaction score
Next time you pull the pump, you could run some tubing to near the pump. Tape the tubing in place, as you do the water.

If you use an air compressor and a gauge up top, the air pressure that can be held will tell you how far it is from the water level down to the open end of the tube. Stop the pump, and take a reading. For example, if there is 10 ft of water above the end of the pump, the max pressure would be 4.2 psi.

You can get a device that monitors the current, and will shut off the pump for a selectable while if you run out of water.
Thank you Reach4 for your reply. Since I use this well to fill the pond only, and cycling is not an issue, water is pumped straight to the pond. I am looking at the Cycle Sensor to protect the pump from a dry run. Will this device work by installing it between the control box and pump without the use of a pressure tank or pressure switch? I switch the pump on and off as needed.

Reach4

Reaction score
Thank you Reach4 for your reply. Since I use this well to fill the pond only, and cycling is not an issue, water is pumped straight to the pond. I am looking at the Cycle Sensor to protect the pump from a dry run. Will this device work by installing it between the control box and pump without the use of a pressure tank or pressure switch? I switch the pump on and off as needed.
I think you install it before the control box (between breaker and control box), but no pressure tank or pressure switch needed.

On the right-side diagram, the lower left L1 and L2 are into the control box.

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
The Cycle Sensor needs to be installed between the breaker and control box. It looks at amps, as that is the best way to see when a well is pumped dry. Running fine for a few minutes then not and the amps drop by 50% proves you are pumping the well dry.

Bob543

Reaction score
The Cycle Sensor needs to be installed between the breaker and control box. It looks at amps, as that is the best way to see when a well is pumped dry. Running fine for a few minutes then not and the amps drop by 50% proves you are pumping the well dry.
Valveman...thank you for the reply. I don't understand how the water supply works. If my neighbors are also pumping 180 feet, should they not have the same problem?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks