Drop-in bathtub frame build question

Users who are viewing this thread

grepis

Reaction score
Hello,

I am in process of building frame and small deck with tiling for new Kohler corner bathtub and after reading various resources completely lost in this.

Manual for my tub Kohler 1161 indicate that I have to build a frame, drop the tub in, install waterproof board over the deck and then do tiling. As result lip of the tub will rest on frame 2x4 directly (with minor gap to ensure that lip doesn't serve for supporting tub itself).

From various sources I read that best is to build frame, on top of frame put plywood, than waterproof board, that tile everything and after that drop the tub in. As result lip of tub will rest on tiles (gap is required as well to don't stress tiles).

Unfortunately I couldn't do tiling upfront I have desided to use mixed approach:
Build a frame, put plywood and waterproof board on top. Drop the tub in and do final tiling to the edge of tub. I think waterproof board that will go under the tub lip will be additional protection for frame and plywood in case of leak.

I also can do option that will more close follow the guidelines of kohler: build a frame, put a plywood, drop in the tub, install waterproof board and tiles to the edge of tub, caulk gaps.

Question: what i have todo? Do i need to follow the kohler guidelines or what I proposed will be better in long term?

grepis

Reaction score
So, My approach to frame it, then plywood, than waterproof board and only than drop the tub in and tile, at least better - even if seal between tub and tile is broken, waterproof board still provide some additional protection?

Btw, it is not shower tub, so I don't expect to much water on a deck itself anyway.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Like hj, I would tile first and drop the tub in last for a deck tub. There are many reasons for that.
One being that cutting tile to fit well around the tub will be very hard,
The tile edges may be sharp.
Water is contained better that way
If you ever need to pull the tub, it's a lot easier to do that in the future if it's setting on tile, not buried by it.

grepis

Reaction score
Like hj, I would tile first and drop the tub in last for a deck tub.
Thank you Terry for your response. I know that, unfortunately most possible I will not be able to arrange tile guy to do it at that stage of project.

So I have to choose lesser of two evils (kohler recommended and my "mixed" one), and in my opinion, mine is better.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks