Drop Ear Fittings - When

Users who are viewing this thread

Chefwong

Reaction score
Getting back onto the training wheels per-se. Been awhile since I've done a full gut/demo/remodel route.

For drop ear fittings (female end) and or Copper Stub Outs *L Copper Capped 90s*, where are you using it in RO applications

Toilet supply
Showerhead
Tub Spout
Sink

In the past I've used drop ear when using a -chrome brass pipe- with angle stop on exposed fixtures.
Sometimes I will stub out copper and use a regular 5/8 compression/3/8 vs Pipe..

For this particular remodel, I'll be -completely- be using ProPress as the means of water plumbing so the decision on copper stub out vs. threaded fip, etc may differ on response to certain fixtures just because of the connection means in the wall

Reach4

Reaction score
The title says "When", which is usually part of a question. Did you have a question?

Do not run RO water through metal plumbing fittings or pipe.

Chefwong

Reaction score
Ha. Just curious what the norm is....granted, drop ear for sure if it's something I'm going to pass a threaded piece to - whether it be a shower arm or a old skool nipple/shut off valve (vs 5/8 compression).

I cannot recall when to use a pre made stub out fitting vs. just sweating a horizontal out the wall....aka, is there any benefits to a pre made stub out copper fitting vs. a -diy made- with cap or not.

Chefwong

Reaction score
What is or was throwing me off a smidge was because I'll be propressing vs soldering....was thinking/looking at it the wrong way. Same principales apply...at the end of the day for the RO/meets the wall outlet.

Hell, I even called Viega and said just for good measure, can I put NSF rated silicone as just a -extra lube- on the O ring (to mitigate Dry rot) for good measure. And they highly advocated do no put anything on their o rings..

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
We use swtXthred drop ears on shower head outlets.. maybe swtXswt drop ears on tub spouts but more likely swtXthred on those too. All other sink stub outs are copper stub out ells X pex or in a kitchen where I want 2hot and 2 cold will be press fittings with a proper press X pex adapter.

Chefwong

Reaction score
In what application in the kitchen sink would you do 2x of Both.
By default I've always plumbed 2X cold., 1X hot. The extra cold has always been for a water filter but generally it has remained capped.

On the primary H/C on the kitchen, I've always put 3 ways on them, however, all my dishwashers are all connected to the Hot Side, except for the smaller 18" one where I actually put crystal ware in and do use the Cold line for this.

Reach4

Reaction score
n what application in the kitchen sink would you do 2x of Both.
By default I've always plumbed 2X cold., 1X hot. The extra cold has always been for a water filter but generally it has remained capped.
Running hot hot water to the dishwasher and tempered hot water to the faucet is the best.

Running hard cold to cold faucet or to a special spigot for drinking or plant watering can be good. It's best to feed the RO unit with soft if that is available.

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
Kitchen sink: 2 hot; 1 dedicated to the faucet and 1 dedicated to the dishwasher. 2 cold; 1 dedicated to the faucet and 1 extra for filtration or insta hot. And we almost always run the water to the refrigerator through the kitchen cabinet so there is a central location to shut off all kitchen appliances which could include water to a pot filler and to a steam oven. In that case we run a line up and back behind the cabinet with a ball valve lined up to extend the handle into the cabinet with a "insulation handle extension kit"

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks