Drake water level - Plumbing 101

Users who are viewing this thread

dmw04

Reaction score
I installed the Drake toilet myself and the initial toilet/tank I had ended up having a leak between the tank and toilet. It was around the gasket/flush valve area. Problem must have been that hugh nut wasn't tightened enough. Anyway I returned the tank for another one and problem was solved. I had to scratch my head on the QA there. I noticed it was made in China...I thought they would be made in Japan or Georgia. Anyway...to my real issue/question.

So, I got everything installed and I noticed the water level, upon filling would be at what I would expect to be the proper level. Then I hear a trickle trickle sound like water draining away. My water level dropps about 1/2" maybe up to 3/4" from its original fill. This occurs within 30 seconds of filling. No more water loss appears to occur.

When setting the toilet I didn't concern myself with leveling. I recently checked it and here is what my level tells me:
BACK ----- FRONT of toilet
^
lower by about 1/4" (eyeball) plus or minus a 1/16"

Thus water would tend to flow to back of toilet ever so slightly.

So, my question is, if I lift up and back and level out the toilet (obviously disassembling everything and replacing the wax ring) would that solve the "trickle trickle" noise and the loss of 1/2" of water in the bowl?

I'm sure someone has installed one of these toilets before and seen something similar. Sorry if a question like this has appeared before and I didn't see it.

Thanks,
-dan

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
Not specifically familiar with the Toto, but with any toilet, level is important. If the back is low, then when the bowl refills water will slowly spill out over the trap weir until equilibrium is reached.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks