Drake 1.6 vs Drake 1.28 vs Drake II 1.28

Users who are viewing this thread

Kurt S

Reaction score
I'm replacing two toilets.
Features desired: ADA, beige, elongated bowl, CEFIONTECT.

Looking at the Drake (1.6 and 1.28) and the Drake II 1.28, is there much of a difference between these three in performance? Issues with skid marks / clean bowls?
The salesman hedged on how well the 1.28's flushed.

Did I see that I can convert the Drake from a 1.28 to a 1.6 if I don't like the 1.28?

I think with those options, the cost will be about the same?

Thanks!
Kurt

WJcandee

Wise One
Reaction score
I'm replacing two toilets.
Features desired: ADA, beige, elongated bowl, CEFIONTECT.

Looking at the Drake (1.6 and 1.28) and the Drake II 1.28, is there much of a difference between these three in performance? Issues with skid marks / clean bowls?
The salesman hedged on how well the 1.28's flushed.

Did I see that I can convert the Drake from a 1.28 to a 1.6 if I don't like the 1.28?

I think with those options, the cost will be about the same?

Thanks!
Kurt

Let's see...

The original Drake isn't going to come in beige with CEFIONTECT, so scratch that. And you can't get it with ADA height AND CEFIONTECT.

For the "combo package", you want the Drake II, CST454CEFG, which has everything you want: CEFIONTECT, elongated bowl, available in Sedona Beige, Universal Height. It comes with the double-cyclone flush, which is an excellent system that gives a little more bowl wash than the original Drake.

The salesman shouldn't have hedged about the 1.28gpf flush. They flush just fine.

And, yes, if for some reason you need a little more water in the flush, you can drop in the Korky Large Adjustable 3" flapper and set it to close a little more slowly than the original flapper. But you won't find it to be necessary. We have the Carlyle II, which has the double-cyclone 1.28gpf flush, and it's great.

And the Drake II is the number-one-selling toilet (of any brand) at a big retailer, which indicates at least something.

Last edited:

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Not all brands are created equal, so some 1.28g toilets do not work great, just like some 1.6g ones don't, and the 3.5g ones didn't. Toto has generally done quite well with theirs. Going from a really old one that used 7-8g to 1.28g, yes, you'll see less bowl wash, but the good ones do quite well, thank you!

WJcandee

Wise One
Reaction score
Not all brands are created equal, so some 1.28g toilets do not work great, just like some 1.6g ones don't, and the 3.5g ones didn't. Toto has generally done quite well with theirs. Going from a really old one that used 7-8g to 1.28g, yes, you'll see less bowl wash, but the good ones do quite well, thank you!

Great post, Jim! I had read the OP to have said that among Totos the salesman hedged about how the 1.28s flushed, but your reading is probably better, and your answer more complete.

Kurt S

Reaction score
Thanks guys! That helps.
I missed that CEFIONTECT wasn't on the Drake - and the saleman quoted it for me too!

Kurt S

Reaction score
Just a follow up - I got the Drake II 1.28 (in the beige). Very happy with both toilets. The plunger use has dropped precipitously - maybe 4 or 5 times in 10 years!
I did have to replace one Toto seat - the hinge tore off while cleaning the toilet. I wasn't there, don't know. :)

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks