Current Toto Drake round front models

Users who are viewing this thread

Pietroone

Reaction score
We have three 15 plus year old Drake round fronts that have performed well.

We’re looking for another round front toilet. What are the current model numbers we should consider? Think we’d rather go with 1.6 gpm vs 1.28 to maximize flush as not used very often and want maximum effectiveness. Think current ones are gmax but see some are now vortex. Don’t want it to be too loud or complicated to repair.
Finally any suggestions where to purchase? Build.com, Lowes, other plumbing on line or retail chains? Seems most models are elongated.

Thanks

Breplum

Licensed plumbing contractor
Reaction score
Toto now actually uses crappy ballcocks on most of their toilets, so, for that reason alone we have been using the American Standard Cadet3.
Toto got a good reputation early on because of excellent engineering, but Kohler, Am Std and most others caught up.
We like the Am.Std Cadet because all the inside parts are easily repaired Fluidmaster 400 series type. Toto's cheap ballcocks are not repairable but have to be replaced.
Also check out MaP performance rating when you choose. Go for WC that flushes 1,000.
You can search Terry Love's recommendations in the search bar at top. RIP Terry Love.

Pietroone

Reaction score
Toto now actually uses crappy ballcocks on most of their toilets, so, for that reason alone we have been using the American Standard Cadet3.
Toto got a good reputation early on because of excellent engineering, but Kohler, Am Std and most others caught up.
We like the Am.Std Cadet because all the inside parts are easily repaired Fluidmaster 400 series type. Toto's cheap ballcocks are not repairable but have to be replaced.
Also check out MaP performance rating when you choose. Go for WC that flushes 1,000.
You can search Terry Love's recommendations in the search bar at top. RIP Terry Love.
Thank you. What do you mean by flushes 1000?

SteveW

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
Speaking of Toto's reputation for excellent engineering, one thing I learned on this site from Terry himself was that Toto uses a different method for casting their toilets. They use a drier form of clay so it doesn't "slump" as much as it sets. This translates to less chance of a restriction in the pathway for solids and liquids. To me that's a big deal, so I personally would stay with the Toto brand, even if it meant replacing the factory-supplied ballcock with a better one (like the top-of-the-line Fluidmaster, $15 at a big-box store). I am, however, a DIY-er, not a pro, so I may be wrong about the current advantage of Toto over other brands.

Reach4

Reaction score
I expect that refers to the MAP rating, which is a flushability test. There has been discussion that ratings have gotten a bit inflated lately since they changed the testing procedure.

Pietroone

Reaction score

We’re looking for another round front toilet. What are the current model numbers we should consider? Think we’d rather go with 1.6 gpm vs 1.28 to maximize flush as not used very often and want maximum effectiveness. Think current ones are gmax but see some are now vortex. Don’t want it to be too loud or complicated to repair.
Finally any suggestions where to purchase? Build.com, Lowes, other plumbing on line or retail chains? Seems most models are elongated.

Thanks
Thanks for the input. If I go with a round Toto, they show 4 models on their website. 3 use tornado flush and one in limited supply uses

Thanks
If I end up with Toto, they show 4 round models on their website …. three use tornado flush and one uses g-max. The tornado flush ones are 1.28gpm and gmax 1.6gpm.

What has been your experience with tornado flush system? Are they easy to repair or replace as a homeowner? The older gmax drakes I have are very easy to replace the fill valve and flapper as needed.

I can’t quite understand yet the differences between the 3 different 1.28gpm tornado models and if there are any I should avoid. Thanks.

Thanks

Pietroone

Reaction score
Thanks for the input. If I go with a round Toto, they show 4 models on their website. 3 use tornado flush and one in limited supply uses

If I end up with Toto, they show 4 round models on their website …. three use tornado flush and one uses g-max. The tornado flush ones are 1.28gpm and gmax 1.6gpm.

What has been your experience with tornado flush system? Are they easy to repair or replace as a homeowner? The older gmax drakes I have are very easy to replace the fill valve and flapper as needed.

I can’t quite understand yet the differences between the 3 different 1.28gpm tornado models and if there are any I should avoid. Thanks.

Breplum

Licensed plumbing contractor
Reaction score
MaP says the the number represents grams of test material (a substitute for the real poop). There has been testing controversy over the years as different mfrs use different compounds and shapes for their test media.
GMax and Tornado are just engineering differences in the china itself. There are no Tornado nor Gmax parts.

You can search to see what Terry Love said by using the 'search' box above. Here is what came up: https://terrylove.com/forums/index.php?threads/toto-gmax-vs-tornado-flush.92358/

I am saddened every day, missing Terry's presence coming to this site and knowing he won't be showing up.

Last edited:

Pietroone

Reaction score
MaP says the the number represents grams of test material (a substitute for the real poop). There has been testing controversy over the years as different mfrs use different compounds and shapes for their test media.
GMax and Tornado are just engineering differences in the china itself. There are no Tornado nor Gmax parts.

You can search to see what Terry Love said by using the 'search' box above. Here is what came up: https://terrylove.com/forums/index.php?threads/toto-gmax-vs-tornado-flush.92358/

I am saddened every day, missing Terry's presence coming to this site and knowing he won't be showing up.
I haven’t been on the site for a long time. As a homeowner, I have always found Terry and the site members to be excellent. I didn’t know that Terry had passed away and also deeply saddened.

Pietroone

Reaction score
I spoke with Toto technical support. The 3 Toto Drake round bowl toilets on their website now use a design with no flapper. Not sure how that works. Also they said the fill assembly (not suite I’m using the right terminology) is now serviceable. Sounds like it’s much more like the Fluidmaster one now.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks