Drained electric water tank...now no hot water

Users who are viewing this thread

Seanf1277

Reaction score
So today I drained my electric hot water tank, and now three hours later I do not have any hot water (water flows thru the hot water faucets on the house, it's just cold). I followed these steps when I drained it:

1) Turned off power at the circuit breaker to the heater and shut off the water valve

2) Disconnected the hot water output on the top of the tank as I wasn't getting any water to come out of the drain valve, so I wanted to increase air pressure to help push the water out.

3) Once drained I reconnected the hot water output to the top of the tank and turned on the water valve.

4) Once the tank was completely full, I turned the breaker back on

5) About 30 mins later I turned on a hot water faucet and got lots of air for the first few mins, but then water pressure returned to normal (albeit cold)

Now three hours or so later, still no hot water. Tried turning the breaker on and off again and even tried the thermostat reset switch, but still no hot water. This is an older tank and I'm wondering if the heating elements crapped out, but any thoughts are appreciated!

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
I turned on a hot water faucet and got lots of air for the first few mins,

If the power is on for a second or two and it's not submerged in water, it instantly burns out. If the top element is bad, you will get no hot water.
If the bottom element is bad, then you would have hot and cold mixed.
Replace the top element and have water running from the tub hot side for a minute with no air before flipping the breaker back on.

I did this once on a brand new water heater install at my mom's house. I hope that is the last time I get impatient with an electric water heater.
But.........lesson learned. :)

Last edited:

Phog

Reaction score
You live, you learn. Electric elements luckily are both cheap & relatively easy to replace. Next time purge all the air out before you flip the breaker back on :cool:

Seanf1277

Reaction score
Th
I turned on a hot water faucet and got lots of air for the first few mins,

If the power is on for a second or two and it's not submerged in water, it instantly burns out. If the top element is bad, you will get no hot water.
If the bottom element is bad, then you would have hot and cold mixed.
Replace the top element and have water running from the tub hot side for a minute with no air before flipping the breaker back on.

I did this once on a brand new water heater install at my mom's house. I hope that is the last time I get impatient with an electric water heater.
But.........lesson learned. :)

Thanks Terry. Quick update, before I headed out to buy a new element I ran the hot water this morning and while it’s def not as hot as it should be, I am now getting warm water. Should I still replace the top element or am I now looking at the bottom element?

Reach4

Reaction score
Th

Thanks Terry. Quick update, before I headed out to buy a new element I ran the hot water this morning and while it’s def not as hot as it should be, I am now getting warm water. Should I still replace the top element or am I now looking at the bottom element?
I have no relevant experience, but if you read up on "low density" elements, those are worth the slight premium they cost. They would have the double foldback instead of a single loop.

One element should do it. You want a water heater element socket (6 point 1-1/2 inch), and maybe a breaker bar. https://terrylove.com/forums/index.php?threads/element-wrench.74136/

Last edited:

MACPLUMB

In the Trades
Reaction score
Replace the upper, or you can do both, when refilling start by opening the hot side of the tub first after it is running then bleed off the other faucets, then you can turn the power back on

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks