drain pipe layout basement sink help

Users who are viewing this thread

xdeaconx

Reaction score
Hey guys,
I just got rid of the old double basin in our basement (that thing is solid iron, and damn heavy) and am replacing it with a single. I want to redo the drain plumbing at the same time.

The original set-up had the washer machine empty into the basin.
I'm going to make a dedicated stand pipe for it. I also want to run the line against the wall so I can put in a shelving unit between the sink and the vent pipe. I plan on using 2" throughout to facilitate better drainage for the washer.

In the photos below you can see that there already is a 2x2x1.5 san T facing the sink. I'm going to cut it out and put in a 2x2x2 san T facing the wall. Then use a long sweep elbow? (not sure if that fitting is best) to run the horizontal along the wall.

The tubing you see hanging down and going into the T now is the condensate line from the furnace, which I plan to plumb into the sink P trap with a dishwasher type fitting.

Below is my plan if you could take a look and let me know i'm on the right track that would be great.

thanks all.

Attachments

• sink3.jpg
    sink3.jpg
    46.3 KB · Views: 1,781
  • sink2.jpg
    sink2.jpg
    18.1 KB · Views: 1,482
  • sink.jpg
    sink.jpg
    16.8 KB · Views: 2,411

Nukeman

Nuclear Engineer
Reaction score
I'm not a pro, but looks okay to me..if proper venting is added. Right now, you don't show any venting. And AAV probably won't do the trick either since they don't work so well with washers. You will need to tie into a vent (or run a new one) to the roof.

If that PVC line coming down leads to the sewer, I bet you are geting some smell from where that condensate line is going into.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
washer_rough_b.jpg

You will need a 2" pipe coming off the stack, and then it needs to be vented.

This is a stand alone laundry tray, washer set up.
As long as the stack in your picture is a vent, and not waste from upstairs, you could run it something like this.

If it's a waste stack, you would need to run a separate vent line up.

xdeaconx

Reaction score
Thanks for the help guys.

That stack on the left is a vent. It's the vent that services the sink. So that vent won't work for both the sink and the washer?

The set up I have now has only been in place for a day, and luckly it feeds into an ejector pump, so there are no sewer gases.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Both fixtures can tie into that vent.

"If" it was a stack for an upstairs sink, then you couldn't use it as a vent.

The sewage ejector, once it has been in use for a while, it start to have smells.
That is why you will want p-traps that are vented.

xdeaconx

Reaction score
would I need to put the new vent line between the washer p trap and the sink p trap?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks