Drain and vent

Users who are viewing this thread

Sem Sem

Reaction score
We used to have a garden tub and drain vent pipes were running within the framing of it. We want to put a new shower and free standing tub but don't know how to route the vent from the pictures. If I was to go through joist I am pretty sure I will be going horizontally before connecting to vent pipes that are running up through ceiling and I won't have that initial 6” clearance.
I cut both ( one from shower and tub) off and now wondering how to route it.

5F290CF1-0B72-4A00-AFE5-DFE841C20BCC.jpeg
AA04E699-E17E-4797-B5FA-9FE2CD4352AB.jpeg

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
The tub and the shower going back in the same locations?
Maybe the best you can do is to roll wyes and at least raise the venting above the flow on the drain line there, staying within the joist area.
We used to do that before code changes.

Sem Sem

Reaction score
Maybe the best you can do is to roll wyes and at least raise the venting above the flow on the drain line there, staying within the joist area.

This is how it was before

Attachments

• 4E5C76A8-2A86-4B53-B1E6-D4DD244D24EC.jpeg
    4E5C76A8-2A86-4B53-B1E6-D4DD244D24EC.jpeg
    123.9 KB · Views: 102

Sem Sem

Reaction score
Trying to see how to move them behind installation considering I wont have 6” vertically before going horizontally

Attachments

• F1695C03-CC1C-41D1-A875-4A14B66D407B.jpeg
    F1695C03-CC1C-41D1-A875-4A14B66D407B.jpeg
    123.9 KB · Views: 106

wwhitney

In the Trades
Reaction score
Can you mark up your last photo by drawing how the drains extend under the subfloor? What is the drain that the shower wyes into, and what is the 3" line on the other side of that joist? Which way does the tub drain run, did you cut out some of the below floor tub drain already?

Cheers, Wayne

Sem Sem

Reaction score
Can you mark up your last photo by drawing how the drains extend under the subfloor? What is the drain that the shower wyes into, and what is the 3" line on the other side of that joist? Which way does the tub drain run, did you cut out some of the below floor tub drain already?

Cheers, Wayne

Does this help? Yes i did cut the drain and t trap

Attachments

• 442EB3FC-CE4A-488B-B7ED-BB2F5BE38940.jpeg
    442EB3FC-CE4A-488B-B7ED-BB2F5BE38940.jpeg
    132.2 KB · Views: 101

wwhitney

In the Trades
Reaction score
Does this help? Yes i did cut the drain and t trap
That helps, but still not quite following the tub, as I'm thinking the circle by the words "tub drain" is where the trap is/was, and then I don't see how the tub vent could be upstream of it. Was the pipe you drew as tub vent connected to the toilet drain (which I assume also drains from left to right like the showers and the tub)?

How is the toilet vented? How about a diagram of the whole bathroom?

If the toilet is vented separately, and the tub had its own dry vent, then I believe that you could wet vent the tub via the toilet, as WA state has eliminated the UPC requirement that the toilet be last on a wet vent. That would eliminate the need for one of the two pipes in your way. But if the second vent you removed (that you've just drawn in and not shown the pipe) was the toilet vent, and the tub was already wet vented, that's challenging.

As for the shower, if the guest bathroom shower is also dry vented, then in practice you could rely on that to wet vent this shower, except the UPC doesn't allow that (the IPC would). But you could drill two holes in the joist on the left to route the shower drain initially over to the joist bay by the wall, put in a vertical vent takeoff then, and then route the shower drain back to connect up with the guest bathroom shower as it currently does.

Cheers, Wayne

Sem Sem

Reaction score
That helps, but still not quite following the tub, as I'm thinking the circle by the words "tub drain" is where the trap is/was, and then I don't see how the tub vent could be upstream of it. Was the pipe you drew as tub vent connected to the toilet drain (which I assume also drains from left to right like the showers and the tub)?

How is the toilet vented? How about a diagram of the whole bathroom?

If the toilet is vented separately, and the tub had its own dry vent, then I believe that you could wet vent the tub via the toilet, as WA state has eliminated the UPC requirement that the toilet be last on a wet vent. That would eliminate the need for one of the two pipes in your way. But if the second vent you removed (that you've just drawn in and not shown the pipe) was the toilet vent, and the tub was already wet vented, that's challenging.

As for the shower, if the guest bathroom shower is also dry vented, then in practice you could rely on that to wet vent this shower, except the UPC doesn't allow that (the IPC would). But you could drill two holes in the joist on the left to route the shower drain initially over to the joist bay by the wall, put in a vertical vent takeoff then, and then route the shower drain back to connect up with the guest bathroom shower as it currently does.

Cheers, Wayne

Wayne, does this help any? Tub vent and drain is connect to that 3” in there. I believe both 3” are for toilets. One for master bathroom toilet and the other one for the kids bathroom. I believe toilets are vented through shower ( black pipe near shower faucet ?)I actually don’t know. Whats that one?

Attachments

• F75476C0-EEF8-41F1-92B6-548EE400C58B.jpeg
    F75476C0-EEF8-41F1-92B6-548EE400C58B.jpeg
    112.8 KB · Views: 100
Last edited:

wwhitney

In the Trades
Reaction score
So the old tub vent went horizontal below the subfloor? That's typically not allowed (although the UPC has a limited allowance for it).

Anyway, what you care about is how to hook everything back up. So the best way to figure that out is with a scaled plan of the bathrooms, showing all the walls, all the fixtures (existing in the other bathroom, planned in this bathroom), all the horizontal drains with sizes, and all the vents (as circles). For example, is that a vent that is below the shower valve/towel in the last picture, and if so what is it venting?

Are you trying to do the wet area thing where the freestanding tub is within the shower enclosure, or is it going to be outside the shower enclosure? If the latter, and the shower enclosure is going to have one boundary near where the old roman tub wall that housed your vents was, then one option is to make that boundary of the shower enclosure a solid knee wall, up to a height of about 12" above the tub, so you can rerun the vents as previously.

Sorry not to have an answer for you, but the information so far is a little too piecemeal, since you seem to want to eliminate those vents, we need to the complete overall picture.

Cheers, Wayne

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks