Double Handled Shower Valve Not Working on Hot Side

Users who are viewing this thread

M Johnson

Reaction score
I've replaced the handle & it worked for a month (really basic style, inexpensive). Now it's not turning on the hot water. Should I assume the stem is stripped and replace it? If so, is there a good online tutorial? Many thanks and love my Totos ;)

M Johnson

Reaction score
Can you post some photos of this?

5.jpg
6.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

M Johnson

Reaction score
We were able to super tighten the screw under the plastic cover- but I'm thinking this may be a temporary fix. I'm not a plumber- so is this the right approach? Is the next step to replace the stem? What are your thoughts on adding locktite when tightening the screw? Thanks for your help.

Marlinman

In the Trades
Reaction score
Terry is correct that it is Price Pfister. Parts are readily available. Brass bibb screws are common to backing out. They make a 10-24 x 3\8 monel self locking screw for the washer. If you cannot find these use a stainless screw the same size with Locktite 242 blue.

William S.

Reaction score
Great schematic. I don't have a Price Pfister, but my old 3 handle Savoy is similar, though with fewer moving parts. The OP asked (see below) about putting locktite on "the screw", which I'm taking to mean the screw that attaches the handle. I'm curious about that myself.

We were able to super tighten the screw under the plastic cover [ . . . ] What are your thoughts on adding locktite when tightening the screw?

M Johnson

Reaction score
Great schematic. I don't have a Price Pfister, but my old 3 handle Savoy is similar, though with fewer moving parts. The OP asked (see below) about putting locktite on "the screw", which I'm taking to mean the screw that attaches the handle. I'm curious about that myself.
Re Locktite, Marlinman wrote this above, italics mine: "Terry is correct that it is Price Pfister. Parts are readily available. Brass bibb screws are common to backing out. They make a 10-24 x 3\8 monel self locking screw for the washer. If you cannot find these use a stainless screw the same size with Locktite 242 blue."

M Johnson

Reaction score
Re Locktite, Marlinman wrote this above, italics mine: "Terry is correct that it is Price Pfister. Parts are readily available. Brass bibb screws are common to backing out. They make a 10-24 x 3\8 monel self locking screw for the washer. If you cannot find these use a stainless screw the same size with Locktite 242 blue."
Re Locktite, again. I now see the above references a different screw - so perhaps the answer is different? I have tightened the #18 screw and am wondering about Locktite there.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks