Does the spigot/hose bib need to be below the backflow preventer? See pictures in my post

Discussion in 'Irrigation / Sprinkler Forum' started by nholt, Aug 18, 2018.

1. nholt

nholt New Member

Long story short I am getting ready to install my backflow preventer on my DIY irrigation system. The main water supply is the pipe coming out from under the storage shed. It tees off to the left for the water hose bib and the irrigation is on the right. The other two PVC pipes on the left of the pictures are coming from the yard irrigation. My question is do I need to lower the hose bib/spigot height so that it is below the height of the backflow preventer? I keep reading that backflow preventers need to be installed at least 12 inches above everything. And also is my mockup of everything in the second picture a good plan?

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 18, 2018
  2. nholt

nholt New Member

I've decided I might just move the hose bib to the pipe coming out of the backflow preventer. I attached a picture to show. My only concern is that sometimes when we move the water hose all the way to the driveway we inevitable pull on it and I didn't want to put any stress on the PVC pipe coming out of the backflow device. I hope that made sense.

Attached Files:

3. Sponsor

Sponsor Paid Advertisement

Attached Files:

4. WorthFlorida

WorthFlorida The wife is still training me.

Retired
    The original set up was OK as long as you used a vacuum break on the hose spigot. Do place a vacuum break on the hose spigot as you changed it. Place a clamp on the shed to hold the hose as a stress relief. The same clamp as for the PVC pipe.