Do I really need a check valve?

Users who are viewing this thread

JoeA

Reaction score
I know the way it was originally installed is not the best (90 degrees angles) but I'm not sure how it can be fixed. The previous owner said they never needed a check valve... I'm looking to replace my primary sump pump and possibly to redo the whole system...

Attachments

• thumbnail.jpg
    thumbnail.jpg
    80.9 KB · Views: 175

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
I know the OP is looking for a reason to install. If it was my job Id install because its standard on a sewer ejector , but on storm water if that dosent connect to sewer it may not be required. I would put the check valve unless someone could explain why its wrong to install

Reach4

Reaction score
I would install. Otherwise the piping will empty back into the sump. I presume you will have significant piping that is higher in altitude than the pump.

Also drill the 3/16 hole below the check valve, as called for in the installation directions. This is to prevent the sump pump from getting air locked if the pump runs dry.

JoeA

Reaction score
I would install. Otherwise the piping will empty back into the sump. I presume you will have significant piping that is higher in altitude than the pump.

Also drill the 3/16 hole below the check valve, as called for in the installation directions. This is to prevent the sump pump from getting air locked if the pump runs dry.
Question about weep hole: I assume in my case the weep hole needs to be located somewhere between the main and the backup pumps? Would it affect the backup pump in any way?

Reach4

Reaction score
So can it be located between the main and the backup pumps?
Thanks!
Usually it is located inside of the sump so that the small amount of water that sprays out goes into the sump. Ideally the hole would be angled to spray downward, but that is not critcical.

Now how does the affect the backup pump in the same sump? Not sure. If there are two check valves, one for each pump before the streams join, I would say each would probably get a weep hole. But read the instructions for the backup pump.

JoeA

Reaction score
I took out my pump and I found that previous owner installed check valve at the bottom of the pump right between primary and backup one as Zoeller backup already has check valve built in... No sure how this setup is good but it appears to be working and I never heard check valve bumping

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks