Do I really need a check valve?

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice' started by JoeA, Jun 25, 2020.

1. JoeA

JoeA New Member

I know the way it was originally installed is not the best (90 degrees angles) but I'm not sure how it can be fixed. The previous owner said they never needed a check valve... I'm looking to replace my primary sump pump and possibly to redo the whole system...

Attached Files:

2. Terry

Terry Administrator Staff Member

Plumber
    The normal install is with the check valve. This is ground water only?

3. Sponsor

Sponsor Paid Advertisement

4. JoeA

JoeA New Member

Yes, ground water only

5. Terry

Terry Administrator Staff Member

Plumber
    If the pump shuts off then I guess it's okay. You don't want it running constantly.
    It does make for a nice coupling though.

6. Jeff H Young

Jeff H Young In the Trades

I know the OP is looking for a reason to install. If it was my job Id install because its standard on a sewer ejector , but on storm water if that dosent connect to sewer it may not be required. I would put the check valve unless someone could explain why its wrong to install

7. Reach4

Reach4 Well-Known Member

I would install. Otherwise the piping will empty back into the sump. I presume you will have significant piping that is higher in altitude than the pump.

Also drill the 3/16 hole below the check valve, as called for in the installation directions. This is to prevent the sump pump from getting air locked if the pump runs dry.

8. JoeA

JoeA New Member

Thanks a lot!!!

9. JoeA

JoeA New Member

Question about weep hole: I assume in my case the weep hole needs to be located somewhere between the main and the backup pumps? Would it affect the backup pump in any way?

10. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

Plumber
    It goes between the pump and check valve.

11. JoeA

JoeA New Member

So can it be located between the main and the backup pumps?
    Thanks!

12. Reach4

Reach4 Well-Known Member

Usually it is located inside of the sump so that the small amount of water that sprays out goes into the sump. Ideally the hole would be angled to spray downward, but that is not critcical.

Now how does the affect the backup pump in the same sump? Not sure. If there are two check valves, one for each pump before the streams join, I would say each would probably get a weep hole. But read the instructions for the backup pump.

13. JoeA

JoeA New Member

I took out my pump and I found that previous owner installed check valve at the bottom of the pump right between primary and backup one as Zoeller backup already has check valve built in... No sure how this setup is good but it appears to be working and I never heard check valve bumping