Do I need an additional vent?

Users who are viewing this thread

Boris Ostrovskiy

Reaction score
I'm building a laundry room in the basement.
There is readily accessible plumbing that I can cut into but I don't know if I need to run an additional vent pipe leg, and if so, where do I run it?

I've made a quick, rough representation model, of current fixtures in the basement (p-traps are not pictured).
New pipe to be added is in red.
Should I cut it in before or after the vent connection for the sink?

RAWqlPF.jpg

Boris Ostrovskiy

Reaction score
Each fixture will need a vent or an AAV for venting.
In my case, what is the best way to route the additional vent?
The existing vent is downstream from the junction, does that make it a vent for the washer, and I should add a new vent for the sink on the right side of the image?

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
The "vent" if it is actually installed the way you drew it, is completely useless, incorrect, and illegal according to the code, so your question about WHERE to connect the new sink is irrelevant.

Boris Ostrovskiy

Reaction score
It wouldn't surprise me that things in that house are not up to code, I've been finding all kinds of issues.
So given the opportunity to re-do it right, how should I vent the existing sink, and the new washing machine drain?

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Starting from the fixture, you have a p-trap, and then a vent. The vent could be an AAV if you can't run a pipe up through the roof, or tie back in to an existing vent at 6" above the flooding level of any connected fixture that it vents. On the same floor that is typically 42" as most counters are 36" at the highest.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks