Discussions on toilets, wherever we find them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
We did a project for the Seattle Parks Dept Discovery Park visitor center installing a bunch of wall hung toilets. The city wrote themselves an exemption to the low flow rule. So we found some in Canada and had them shipped. Fortunately we ordered at least one extra. I broke one upon installation because the drain barrell for the older toilets stubbed out at a shallower depth than what I had set them for with the original spec'd 1.6GPF toilets.. a painful lesson in reading and understanding spec sheets.

"...Unfortunately, the poor quality of those original low-flow designs often forced users into multiple flushes and created a toilet-smuggling industry across the Canadian border..." from the fox news article listed.

However, that somewhat costly mistake paid off huge for me a year later when I bid a project replacing all the wall hung toilets in a 20 story tower downtown. I knew that the plan called for placing 3/8" tile directly over the top of the existing tile.. the same dimension that the barrell needed to be shortened. I was the only contractor at the walkthrough that actually pulled a toilet to see what was lurking in the walls. I was 5 or 10k less than the other low bidder which would have normally disqualified me.. But I knew the property manager and explained how I would be able to manage it. Job went as planned and actually better as we gained efficiency each floor.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks