Dirty cistern options

Users who are viewing this thread

woodscape

Reaction score
Hi all,

New to wells in general and I'm looking for any recommendations you may have.

Basically, I have a low yield well that feeds into a 1700 gal cistern, which is then pumped into my house to a well pressure tank, and finally through a sediment filter . Now, there is a significant amount of sediment at the bottom of the cistern and when I recently replaced my pressure switch, the water I released from the tank was extremely dirty. Unfortunately, the area I live in is notorious for having quite a bit of sediment in the well water and not many (cheap) options to help with that.

So my question, I'm curious if it would be recommended or advisable to connect a sediment filter to the well water pipe that feeds my cistern? I assume it would help keep the cistern, cistern pump, and well pressure tank clean? I haven't really seen this done before, and since my experience with wells is limited, figured I would ask the question.

Thanks!

WorthFlorida

New Chemotherapy, Enhertu. Started June 20, 2024
Solutions
Reaction score
Be sure the sediment filter can handle the flow rate the well pump provides. Add a pressure gauge before the filter and record the pressure. As the filter clogs up with sediment, the pressure will increase. You might want to look into a spin down filter. Not very costly, see through housing, reusable filter, easy to clean and a valve to flush out sediments.

woodscape

Reaction score
Be sure the sediment filter can handle the flow rate the well pump provides. Add a pressure gauge before the filter and record the pressure. As the filter clogs up with sediment, the pressure will increase. You might want to look into a spin down filter. Not very costly, see through housing, reusable filter, easy to clean and a valve to flush out sediments.
Great idea about the pressure gauge. My well flow rate is quite low (1.5-2.5 gpm), so I figure any filter will handle that, but still a good call to verify. I'll definitively checkout the spin down filter, thanks for the recommendation!

WorthFlorida

New Chemotherapy, Enhertu. Started June 20, 2024
Solutions
Reaction score
Great idea about the pressure gauge. My well flow rate is quite low (1.5-2.5 gpm), so I figure any filter will handle that, but still a good call to verify. I'll definitively checkout the spin down filter, thanks for the recommendation!
At that rate any 3/4 inch filter connection will work.