Did the plumber get the venting right.?

Users who are viewing this thread

Wray

Reaction score
Great forum, have gotten tons of general advice. A specific question on my bathroom remodel & would appreciate some help.

I usually DIY, but spouse thought things were going too slowly. So had to contract something out & plumbing won out. BTW, House is 1930 vintage with a lot of badly done re-muddling.

Did a lot of checking around and got a nice guy to do the work. Biggest job was to relocate the 3" cast iron stack to allow a full size tub.

He put aav for the sink and tub. He didn't want to re-route the 3" vent (against code, he said) and just capped it off before the sub floor.

So I have a 3" hole in the roof I have to patch. Seems like I should just run 3" PVC through the hole and tie it into the waste stack where he capped it off. Easy to do now, before I replace subfloor, but will require 4 - 90 degree ells to get through the roof.

DWV piping has always driven me crazy, so maybe I'm not thinking about this right

All advice appreciated!

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
An AAV also needs at least one vent through the roof to work.
Venting normally requires at least one 3" vent through the roof, or two 2" and one 1.5" vent which would be the same area as a single 3".
If it's a dry vent, then using 90's would be fine.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
You apparently did NOT have a "plumber", because there is NO prohibition about offsetting the vent, in fact is it done all the time, and just "capping off" the old vent was probably illegal without doing something to restore its function elsewhere.

Wray

Reaction score
thanks, to Terry and HJ. I think I'll restore the 3" vent while things are accessible. The plumbers truck said he was licensed. maybe he had a fishing license. I had him do some work on my boiler a while back, and that was nice work, so maybe he should stick to that.

the other thing I noticed was the fall of the 3" main from the toilet is about 3/4 inch per foot. I see why he did it that way & reworking it would be a major undertaking if it could be done at all.

I've heard about the water outrunning the solids. Should I obsess about this or just ask everybody to flush twice?

Thanks again!

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks