Diagnosing no hot water in shower

Users who are viewing this thread

SoftcoreDIYer

Reaction score
I have a property where a tenant says there is no hot water coming from the showers (All 3). There are sinks that give hot water. In 2 of the showers the valve and fixtures are new and in 1 it is old but no hot water in any of them. So I don't think it is a valve issue, but it has to be the gas water heater right? It is a gas system, single family home built in 1997.

Would be great to know what information you need from me to diagnose this issue.

Dj2

In the Trades
Reaction score
If they have hot water in the sinks, you can assume that the WH is OK.
What kind of valves do you have in the showers?

SoftcoreDIYer

Reaction score
If they have hot water in the sinks, you can assume that the WH is OK.
What kind of valves do you have in the showers?
I'll be at the property in an hour, take pics and check the hot water in the sinks to make sure. Then get back to you.

Gas water heater was installed 18 months ago brand new.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Sometimes the adjustment is behind the handle. Delta comes preset kind of low and I have to adjust it to allow more on the hot side. All brands have a way to "limit" the hot water side.

delta-temp-adjustment-1.jpg

SoftcoreDIYer

Reaction score
OK, it looks like the only thing is the scald bar on the cartridges needs to be adjusted. Im turning off the water to the entire house and will tinker with it, just hoping it's straight forward once I get inside.

SoftcoreDIYer

Reaction score
Sometimes the adjustment is behind the handle. Delta comes preset kind of low and I have to adjust it to allow more on the hot side. All brands have a way to "limit" the hot water side.

Thank you for this, it will really help once I get in. Will I need pliers or can I do it by hand?

SoftcoreDIYer

Reaction score

Well, turned off the water, adjusted it to hotter, and it's still not getting hot or even body temperature. Sinks all around house get hot water.

Attachments

• 20200122_132818.jpg
    20200122_132818.jpg
    44.8 KB · Views: 146

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail 5th session completed 4/24/24.
Solutions
Reaction score
The valve at the full hot setting, is the pressure near normal? did you adjust the stem to full hot?

It was a common problem with Moen bath/shower faucets where by the balancing spool would gum up and cause the (usually) the hot side to stay closed. By law with new faucets, when pressure drops on the hot or cold side the valve closes off the the other. When the shower is in use and a cold water faucet is opened or a toilet is flushed, the drop in the cold water pressure will close off the hot side to prevent scalding. The part that closes off slides around and something may have them jammed or a hard water issue.

It is strange that all three happen about the same time. Something in the water may have done it. The fix is change out the cartridge. Rebuilt kits do not have these parts, only the seals and O rings. I would get one and replace it to be sure before buying three cartridges.

You can try one thing, remove the cartridge and soak it in vinegar and tap it around to loosen up any stuck parts.

SoftcoreDIYer

Reaction score
The valve at the full hot setting, is the pressure near normal? did you adjust the stem to full hot?

It was a common problem with Moen bath/shower faucets where by the balancing spool would gum up and cause the (usually) the hot side to stay closed. By law with new faucets, when pressure drops on the hot or cold side the valve closes off the the other. When the shower is in use and a cold water faucet is opened or a toilet is flushed, the drop in the cold water pressure will close off the hot side to prevent scalding. The part that closes off slides around and something may have them jammed or a hard water issue.

It is strange that all three happen about the same time. Something in the water may have done it. The fix is change out the cartridge. Rebuilt kits do not have these parts, only the seals and O rings. I would get one and replace it to be sure before buying three cartridges.

You can try one thing, remove the cartridge and soak it in vinegar and tap it around to loosen up any stuck parts.

Two of the cartridges and fixtures are brand new, third is older. Is there a system where the gas water heater goes to shower fixtures and the other one goes go all the other places in house? Do 3500 sq ft homes have more than 1 water heater?

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
I would look for a tempering valve somewhere if the handle adjustment isn't working.

tempering_valve_tub.jpg

Sometimes these are located by the lav in the bathroom, and sometimes at the water heater.

SoftcoreDIYer

Reaction score
I would look for a tempering valve somewhere if the handle adjustment isn't working.

tempering_valve_tub.jpg

Sometimes these are located by the lav in the bathroom, and sometimes at the water heater.

Will this be the set up in a 1990s built home? Copper pipes and all protruding? I'll check tomorrow.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks