Delta valve trim and multi-head shower confusion

Users who are viewing this thread

Sewer Rat

Reaction score
I am doing a remodel on our master bath and intend to install a shower with a main shower head, hand shower on a slider, and two body sprays. I'm going to use all Delta components, mostly because I don't want the hassle of trying to match the look from piece to piece. Also, I'm under the impression that Delta makes decent quality stuff. That's the background, here's my confusion.

The valve trim I want to use is Delta's Monitor 17 series, P/N T17099, which Delta had listed as a reccomended valve trim for a multi-head system. The rough-in valve will be an R10000-unbxhf. I downloaded the specs for the valve trim and it is only rated at 1.75GPM at 80 PSI. The intended shower head and two body sprays add up to 4 GPM. The highest flow rate valve trim I could find (that we liked) is rated at 2GPM, still only 50% of what I need. Am I missing something here? Also the diverter valve will be an 11999 with an R11000 rough-in.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
The valve has two outlets...one for a tub, and one for a shower. When used in a shower only mode...cap the shower outlet and use the tub outlet and you should have enough volume to do what you want.

Sewer Rat

Reaction score
The valve has two outlets...one for a tub, and one for a shower. When used in a shower only mode...cap the shower outlet and use the tub outlet and you should have enough volume to do what you want.
Thanks Jim. I love simple (and now obvious) answers. Guess I can start ordering parts now. BTW, your creds look familiar, are you a regular on the John Bridge tile forum?

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Thanks Jim. I love simple (and now obvious) answers. Guess I can start ordering parts now. BTW, your creds look familiar, are you a regular on the John Bridge tile forum?
Yes, I got started over at John Bridge when I was planning some remodeling in my condo way back when...they directed me here for some help with a plumbing issue. I got to reading a lot, and once you see the same question asked numerous times and the answers are (generally) the same, to help people out, I started to post. So, it's now many years of reading what the pros have to say, some personal experience, and what I consider a fairly even minded ability to comprehend and learn - not to say I don't make mistakes once in awhile, though. Working for years where details matter (missile systems), I tend to sometimes overanalyze, but hey, you don't have to read it if you don't want to!

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
In addition,Delta is one of the valves you can invert the body, so the larger "tub" opening is on top, and cap the shower opening that is on the bottom, (or pipe it around the valve and connect the two openings together into one riser).

Sewer Rat

Reaction score
In addition,Delta is one of the valves you can invert the body, so the larger "tub" opening is on top, and cap the shower opening that is on the bottom, (or pipe it around the valve and connect the two openings together into one riser).
Outstanding tip! I wouldn't have even thought to ignore the instructions that say to "install this end up". Gets rid of four 90's and six potential leaks. Thanks!

Jim, I used to calibrate precision test equipment used to make sure planes, bombs, and missiles go where they are supposed to. No such thing as over-analysis.

Thanks guys!

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks