Delta R10000 shower valve leaking at the valve stop - defective valve?

Users who are viewing this thread

Brian80

Reaction score
Hi, I installed a Delta R10000 PXWS and just found out that the hot side valve stop failed the pressure test badly. With the stop closed, it leaks out of the threads. Everything is tight.

I never soldered any part of this valve and I installed the valve stops according to the instructions. I installed them both the same and the cold side is fine, so I'm pretty sure I did it right. Is this a problem that is known to happen?

Short video here: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Cg3q2Bai2t1OuGUlzL07sLZVqaR3S0Ss/view?usp=sharing

My question is - is this fixable with teflon tape or pipe dope? The valve stops use straight threads and seal with O-rings which means that teflon tape and pipe dope should not be needed, but I'm trying to avoid replacing the whole valve. I can't find replacement parts anywhere.

20220715_091401 - Copy.jpg

Last edited:

Brian80

Reaction score
Thanks for the part number. The instructions don't mention anything about replacement parts and I couldn't find anything online without already knowing the part number. Now I can find where to buy them, but they're not exactly cheap for small parts.

It has to be a bad O-ring, right? Otherwise I don't know what else it could be since everything is tightened properly.

John Gayewski

In the Trades
Reaction score
O rings should be readily available. Why not try changing them.

Just a general thing to anyone who cares. I have found on several occasions that the stops on shower valves are not worth the very small convenience they provide. They seem to be the first thing to gunk up with mineral build up and leak and just downright don't work so we try to avoid a rough valve w/stops.

Brian80

Reaction score
Oh, wow. I didn't notice before, but one of the O-rings is missing entirely! Another one has a big gouge on the side. That would explain the leak for sure. Not the best quality control, Delta...

RE: replacing the O-rings. I'm sure these O-rings are made to a very specific spec. How do I get the exact match? Seems like if I don't get a perfect replacement, it will leak again. I can take it off and measure it with a digital caliper, is that good enough?

20220715_105851 - Copy.jpg

20220715_105919 - Copy.jpg

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
If you bought it at a big box store, sometimes people rob parts out and return them.
You might be able to fine the right size, I see the set online for less than $14.00
RP50366

Brian80

Reaction score
If you bought it at a big box store, sometimes people rob parts out and return them.
You might be able to fine the right size, I see the set online for less than $14.00
RP50366
I bought it from an online plumbing supplier, so it was never in the hands of the public per se. But you know, it would make sense that someone ordered it intending to steal an O-ring and return the valve, but they damaged the O-ring on their first try and succeeded on the second attempt with the other O-ring. Anyway, it doesn't matter. I got a lemon.

I did order the RP50366 set on Amazon because it will probably take ages to get a replacement from Delta, and I want to move on with my project.

Thanks again for the part number.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks