Delta Acrylic Shower Base Flexes towards the back

Users who are viewing this thread

FirstTimeRemodel

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

Our plumber installed the acrylic shower base without a mortar bed and I noticed it moves up and down when pushing on the back corner (1st video) . Asked them to fix it but they pushed ahead with putting hardieboard on the walls and floors. They added some spray foam on the back corner so it doesnt move up and down so much. But stepping inside it still makes a sound (see 2nd video).
Now they’re saying they can’t take it out without potentially causing cracks to the base. And because the drain is already installed, they need to open up the ceiling in the room below to access the pipes to then remove the drain (ie they cannot just unscrew the base from the bathroom to add the mortar).

What other options do we have? I saw some suggestions to put balls of mortar wrapped in plastic underneath potentially. The contractor is adding more spray foam. I’m just worried this will cause cracks in this shower base in the future. And they keep saying the base is installed levelled so they did nothing wrong.

The base is a Delta Industrial 60x32, corner shower with a left side drain.

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
I agree.. that is not installed correctly. You are installing a NEW shower pan. It should not need to be Fixed when its being installed new.

instruction #5
IF THE SUBFLOOR IS NOT FLAT AND LEVEL, a mortar bed must be applied where the base will be positioned. • Apply a generous amount of mortar that has been mixed to a thick consistency. • Use the mortar to fill in low areas. • Place the base in the wet mortar and adjust until it is level. • Let mortar cure for 24 hours. • Proceed to the next step.

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
There are creative fixes but usually are a compromise in quality. not fair for you to get lesser job over ignorant subs.
some hardie backer or shims might help but I don't like it the pan should be level and solid upon install period.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks