Delta 600 shower handles now reversed to get hot

Discussion in 'Shower & Bathtub Forum & Blog' started by bobkool, Feb 15, 2020.

1. bobkool

bobkool New Member

Hello,
    My dad purchased two Delta knob handle to lever conversion kits for 600 series tub shower for his 35 year old house. (No idea if he has 600 series anything). These are the ones that contain the metal ball valve, they are not the plastic cartridge types. One obviously wasn't the right one because there was no hole in the bottom of the plate for the diverter rod that sticks out (i wound up re-using the old plate). The issue i am writing about though is that now when you turn the handle to the left cold water comes out and you have to rotate it to the right to get hot water. This is opposite of what it was before. Turning the ball upside-down does not work for a couple reasons First the set screw in the handle mates to a flat spot at the end of the rod that is welded to the ball and that is only flat on one side, so the handle would be upside down if mounted correctly. Second, because of the geometry of the holes in the ball, when you want to turn the shower off you would have to pull the handle out away from the wall not push it in. So obviously turning the ball 180° is not the answer. I can access the pipes behind the wall and the hot water is on the left hand side as you face the shower from the user's position.
    • Did he purchase the wrong type replacement parts?
    • Do they sell a reversing ball?
    • Is it possible to purchase one of those cartridge units instead to do this with to convert it?
    • Am I not getting something that I did wrong with the installation?
    I uploaded a picture of the valve seat(?).
    Any thoughts/help would be greatly appreciated.
    Thank you

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 15, 2020
  2. WorthFlorida

WorthFlorida The wife is still training me.

Retired
  3. Sponsor

Sponsor Paid Advertisement

4. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

Plumber
    You replaced the round handle for a lever, which makes it operate baciwardsl You need the reversing ball. Call 1-800-345-DELT to get the part number.

5. bobkool

bobkool New Member

Thank you. I am confused however, reading the instructions again it seems they indicate that instead of the top of the old knob pointing left for hot, now the handle points in the right direction (left) for hot. If they mean the bottom of the handle, then yeah, i guess it points left (even though its now clockwise for hot, not ccwise). Kind of misleading on their part, especially if the h/c indicators are above 9 and 3 oclock. But we will call for the reverser ball. Thank you.

FOLLOW UP: Found out from more detailed Delta pdf install guide that, yes, hot is now clockwise and the bottom of the handle goes left as opposed to the top of the old knob. They didnt maintain the directions, just changed the reference point for l/R. Bastards lol.

Last edited: Feb 16, 2020
  6. Terry

Terry Administrator Staff Member

Plumber
    I use this rebuild for the Delta 600

[​IMG]

Be careful when removing the old dome though.

[​IMG]

They can twist.
    I sometimes use a bit of heat on the dome to loosen it, and some will make a cut on it.
    Be careful not to "egg" the dome, or it becomes very hard to remove.

Last edited: Feb 16, 2020
  7. bobkool

bobkool New Member