Deep Well Submersible Pump Recomendation

Discussion in 'Pumps and Tanks Well Forum & Blog. Water is life.' started by Lewis Epting, Sep 13, 2021 at 11:30 AM.

1. Lewis Epting

Lewis Epting New Member

I am replacing a 15 year old submersible pump (3 wire-yellow, red, black, green).
    I need a complete motor and head.
    TDH minimum of 392 ft
    20 GPM
    40 PSI
    (This well is used for daily lawn irrigation, but is a low yield. The well refills overnight, so the TDH is based on the depth of the well (240 ft). Ive been using this well this way for the last 15 years. I am considering adding dry well control, similar to pumptech.
    This pump is difficult to pull, so I want a pump with a long life!
    I'm also planning to replace the current 11/4 PVC with a single coil strand of enviropure or similar high pressure pipe (200 psi min).
    Please advise recommendations for pump/motor, and pipe .
    The current pump which has failed after 15 years, is a Goulds 4" with franklin 1.5 hp with external controller.

2. Reach4

Reach4 Well-Known Member

What is the mode of failure? Are you confident that the problem is not just the control box? A start capacitor getting old or a relay failing in the box could cause the pump to not start and to trip the breaker due to high current.

3. Sponsor

Sponsor Paid Advertisement

4. valveman

valveman Cary Austin Staff Member

Pump Controls Technician
    TDH of 392' in a 240' deep well means you are running 65 PSI not 40 PSI to the sprinklers? And there is no way a 1.5HP can pump 20 GPM from that TDH, it would take a 3HP. I am guessing you have a 10 GPM, 1.5HP instead? The Goulds pump you have is one of the best you can get, and should have lasted longer than 15 years. Any pump will last longer if you keep if from cycling on and off by adding a Cycle Stop Valve. However, you will need to know the actual GPM of your 1.5HP pump and the pressure rating of your pipe before adding a CSV.