Damage to basement steel column

Discussion in 'Remodel Forum & Blog' started by arbor1, Mar 14, 2021.

1. arbor1

arbor1 New Member

I was using a 1" hole saw to drill through some studs adjoining the basement steel column in my 1970s tri-level home. I suppose I thought I wasn't anywhere close to being all the way through, but when I removed my bit, I realized that I had grazed the steel column in the center of my basement.

The drill did not go all the way through, although the center bit did go a bit deeper than the 1/16" that the hole saw portion did.

How bad did I screw things up by doing this? The column is in good condition with only minor surface rust on the lower portion. Will this compromise the structural integrity of my home?

2. Dana

Dana In the trades

Don't sweat the small stuff. If the steel isn't subjected to chronic moisture it'll be fine. (Are the nails in the studwall rusting out?)

If a pilot hole and a couple of nicks was enough damage to create a structural issue the column would already be WOEFULLY undersized.

3. Sponsor

Sponsor Paid Advertisement