Damage to basement steel column

Users who are viewing this thread

arbor1

Reaction score
I was using a 1" hole saw to drill through some studs adjoining the basement steel column in my 1970s tri-level home. I suppose I thought I wasn't anywhere close to being all the way through, but when I removed my bit, I realized that I had grazed the steel column in the center of my basement.

The drill did not go all the way through, although the center bit did go a bit deeper than the 1/16" that the hole saw portion did.

How bad did I screw things up by doing this? The column is in good condition with only minor surface rust on the lower portion. Will this compromise the structural integrity of my home?

Dana

In the trades
Reaction score
Don't sweat the small stuff. If the steel isn't subjected to chronic moisture it'll be fine. (Are the nails in the studwall rusting out?)

If a pilot hole and a couple of nicks was enough damage to create a structural issue the column would already be WOEFULLY undersized.

sajesak

Reaction score
I was using a 1" hole saw to drill through some studs adjoining the basement steel column in my 1970s tri-level home. I suppose I thought I wasn't anywhere close to being all the way through, but when I removed my bit, I realized that I had grazed the steel column in the center of my basement.

The drill did not go all the way through, although the center bit did go a bit deeper than the 1/16" that the hole saw portion did.

How bad did I screw things up by doing this Steel structure introduction? The column is in good condition with only minor surface rust on the lower portion. Will this compromise the structural integrity of my home?
Accidentally grazing the steel column in your basement with a hole saw is unlikely to have compromised the structural integrity of your home. Since the column is in good condition with only minor surface rust, it should still provide the necessary support. The slight contact likely didn't significantly weaken the steel, especially if it's a minor graze. However, it's a good idea to inspect the steel column for any visible damage or deformities, just to be sure. If you're uncertain or notice any issues, consult with a structural engineer to assess the situation and provide recommendations for any necessary repairs.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks