Cycle stop valve

Users who are viewing this thread

Steve7878

Reaction score
Recently heard about these.

have a small 2 bedroom house and never really had any problems. Very good well with submersible pump.

Anyway any cons to these. More maintenance or anything. Just something that looked like would make pumps last longer and more even water pressure

Thanks

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
Lol! Well if you want to know what the guy who invented them and has been selling them for 28 years has to say, you came to the right place. As long as your pump falls within the depth and pressure requirements for the CSV, there really are no cons. As a matter of fact just the opposite is true. The CSV really does make pumps last longer and use smaller pressure tanks. It also solves a lot of other problems that are known to be caused by cycling the pump on and off too much. Like you said, with a good well and a good submersible pump, most people don't have a lot of problems with the old pressure tank method of control. The CSV utilizes that same old dependable pressure tank control, and makes it even more dependable. Eliminating the cycling is about the only way to improve upon that old tried and true pressure tank method, and that is what a CSV does. Eliminating the cycling makes the pump, tank, pressure switch, control box, check valve, and everything else in a pump system last longer. It is like starting your car engine a couple times a day compared to a hundred times per day. Of course you will also have to learn to live with a strong constant 50 PSI in the shower compared to the old 40 to 60 swing over and over. Most people say they no longer even need soap with the constant pressure being so strong.

If you had rather hear from five or six hundred people who have a CSV at their house, just follow this link. https://cyclestopvalves.com/pages/reviews

Steve7878

Reaction score
Lol! Well if you want to know what the guy who invented them and has been selling them for 28 years has to say, you came to the right place. As long as your pump falls within the depth and pressure requirements for the CSV, there really are no cons. As a matter of fact just the opposite is true. The CSV really does make pumps last longer and use smaller pressure tanks. It also solves a lot of other problems that are known to be caused by cycling the pump on and off too much. Like you said, with a good well and a good submersible pump, most people don't have a lot of problems with the old pressure tank method of control. The CSV utilizes that same old dependable pressure tank control, and makes it even more dependable. Eliminating the cycling is about the only way to improve upon that old tried and true pressure tank method, and that is what a CSV does. Eliminating the cycling makes the pump, tank, pressure switch, control box, check valve, and everything else in a pump system last longer. It is like starting your car engine a couple times a day compared to a hundred times per day. Of course you will also have to learn to live with a strong constant 50 PSI in the shower compared to the old 40 to 60 swing over and over. Most people say they no longer even need soap with the constant pressure being so strong.

If you had rather hear from five or six hundred people who have a CSV at their house, just follow this link. https://cyclestopvalves.com/pages/reviews

Do you happen to know what the depth requirement is. I think pressure is set around 52 psi. But it has been 15 years since I pulled the pump. Thinking it was 20 to 30 down into the well.
The tank was either a 10 or 15 gallon
Thanks

Banjo Bud

Reaction score
I have a CSV with the PK1A kit. The one con I notice is that if the power goes out, I only have a gallon of water because the tank is so small. So Almost every time I need water if the power remains out, I have to start my generator. This has nothing to with the CSV but with the tank size. But of course A bigger tank Takes up more room. Good an bad I guess.

Bannerman

Reaction score
The tank was either a 10 or 15 gallon
A 10 or 15 gallon tank may be used with a CSV. Since the tank's draw down capacity will be approx 1/4 of the total volume of the tank, then either ~2.5 gallons or ~3.75 gallons of water will need to be consumed to cause the pump to kick-in to deliver constant pressure to fixtures for as long as water continues to be used.

As banjo bud mentioned, the 4.4 gallon tank included with the PK1A kit will hold only a little over 1-gallon, but a benefit is, a smaller amount of water will need to be used to cause the pump to operate so as to provide consitant pressure for uses that require more than 1-gallon.

As Valveman often states, that initial 1-gallon is typically consumed while adjusting the shower temperature before a person enters the shower so the pressure will then remain constant while they are actually in the shower.

Banjo Bud

Reaction score
It is Murphy's Law that even with a large tank, there might only be a gallon of water left in it when the power cuts out.

that is true but only the first time. After that I’d make sure the generator runs until the tank is full.

Steve7878

Reaction score
A 10 or 15 gallon tank may be used with a CSV. Since the tank's draw down capacity will be approx 1/4 of the total volume of the tank, then either ~2.5 gallons or ~3.75 gallons of water will need to be consumed to cause the pump to kick-in to deliver constant pressure to fixtures for as long as water continues to be used.

As banjo bud mentioned, the 4.4 gallon tank included with the PK1A kit will hold only a little over 1-gallon, but a benefit is, a smaller amount of water will need to be used to cause the pump to operate so as to provide consitant pressure for uses that require more than 1-gallon.

As Valveman often states, that initial 1-gallon is typically consumed while adjusting the shower temperature before a person enters the shower so the pressure will then remain constant while they are actually in the shower.

How long do tanks last? Considering mine is about 15 years old. Would I be better with the tank & valve kit?
What would most of you do.
Thanks

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
How long a bladder in a tank last is dependent on how many times the pump cycles on and off. Every on/off cycle the bladder goes up and back down, like bending a wire until it breaks. The fewer times a pump cycles, the longer the tank bladder and everything else will last. Tanks are designed to survive about 7 years of normal cycling. If yours cycles less you will get longer life. 15 years is twice the design life.

And when running a generator having 8 or 20 gallons in a pressure tank won't help much. While the generator is running I make sure everyone gets a shower and uses all the water they need, then I fill the bath tubs and a few extra buckets before turning off the generator. I can dip a bucket in the tub to flush with many times if needed.

Steve7878

Reaction score
How long a bladder in a tank last is dependent on how many times the pump cycles on and off. Every on/off cycle the bladder goes up and back down, like bending a wire until it breaks. The fewer times a pump cycles, the longer the tank bladder and everything else will last. Tanks are designed to survive about 7 years of normal cycling. If yours cycles less you will get longer life. 15 years is twice the design life.

Sounds like I am overdue. And should just go ahead and buy the valve and tank kit. Wish I had heard about these sooner. Last year spent about 400 for a plumber to replace the tank manifold assembly /kit.

One last question please. Crawl space is only about 22" high. Current tank was installed in a horizontal position. Any problems doing the same if needed with the cycle stop tank kit?

Banjo Bud

Reaction score
Mine wouldn’t quite fit with my jet pump.

Attachments

• 91FEE3E1-7BA8-4D61-8C3D-67A2F8723BDA.jpeg
    91FEE3E1-7BA8-4D61-8C3D-67A2F8723BDA.jpeg
    64.5 KB · Views: 221
  • 56A3B15D-0820-4C6A-B1BE-48F18B62510F.jpeg
    56A3B15D-0820-4C6A-B1BE-48F18B62510F.jpeg
    68.4 KB · Views: 226
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks